12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Napa track bar...this is nuts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa track bar...this is nuts!!!

Well when i put my truck on the road a couple months ago, I found that the track bar was bad. I know enough about Rams to know this is a common problem, so I didn't want to skimp...I went to Napa and bought theirs. Here I am, 9000 miles later, and the "new" track bar is junk! I've hardly done any towing, just daily driving on rough local roads and a fair amount of interstate driving. I was prepared for it to wear quickly, but 9000 miles is just nuts!!! I guess I'll be making up the barcket to mount the new style track bar sooner than I thought. I figured I could get by until spring before replacing it again. Luckily this one has a warranty, so if I can find the receipt, I might get the next one to last until spring.

Jim
Old 09-15-2005, 08:31 PM

Get the Solid steel bracket, unless you got lots of time to fab something. I have their steering box stabilizer and it is real quality stuff. Good people too.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 PM

Call Don Thuren and get one of his track bars....I've put 25K on mine and it's as good as the day I bought it. It's adjustable, rebuildable, and it costs less than the 03TBK.

It's also a direct bolt in for a stock height truck...
Old 09-16-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive got a Napa special also, I sure liked how small the ball end is, supposed to be super duty or ?? Im gonna Lukes link my stock one then swap then back.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It depends on the roads you drive how long the bar lasts. Potholes are the worst.
I use Napa bars and have been happy, replaced three times in 200k for free, no questions asked plus 5 minutes of labor on my part.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:32 PM

Say Infidell, did your Napa have 2 listings for your truck? My local one did, I picked up the better unit and havent seen any wear yet but its only been 10k or so. If I recall one had a plain wrap box and the other was a actual Napa guaranteed one. The ball end seemed to be pretty dinky, but was designed to far superior from the stocker?? well see on that one.The roads where im at are in bad shape, county was supposed to overlay last year but no dough they said. Do you dislike the Lukes link type setups?? and why?
thanks.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Only one part number as far as I know, 272-4229. Interesting that the price has dropped $40 from when I bought my first one in '96.

I think the Luke's are fine. I've installed several and have only had one come back to be tightened after over a year of service. Luke's is the way I probably would have gone except that in 1996 it wasn't available. In fact there was very little choice in a replacements. Sort of glad, it made the decision on a lifetime warrantied bar easier.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:16 PM

I think they gave me an option on the bars also...I remember telling them I wanted the best one. I really couldn't care less about the warranty...its the hassle to change it out if I'm on the road, and having to do it several times a year. I know its a 5 minute job, but it still gets old quickly if I have to do it often. Its kind of like why I use Snap-On tools instead of Craftsman. Sure, sear's are warrantied forever, but I'd rater pay more for something that won't break to begin with (or at least last MUCH longer).

I'll probably get the replacement to get me by until I have the time to fab something up. Who knows, maybe by spring I'll decide to install leaf springs instead of this joke of a coil spring suspension. Its pretty bad that my heavy duty truck has the exact suspension design as my little Jeep Cherokee! I guess they do ride pretty well, and it HAS lasted this long...so I'll have to think about it. Probably something I'll never get to.

I did manage to get my fuel gauge working though, I just used a 4-40 screw, 2 nuts, a couple washers, and a spring from the hardware store. I like that better than having to machine a pin or using one of those push-on nuts.

Jim
Old 09-17-2005, 01:07 AM

It no wonder the weird handeling charactistics are there on the jeep and truck eh? Not knocking our jeeps but.... it works better on something that weighs 3k not 6.5k lbs. Ill take leaf springs myself as well anyday.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by apache
It no wonder the weird handeling charactistics are there on the jeep and truck eh? Not knocking our jeeps but.... it works better on something that weighs 3k not 6.5k lbs. Ill take leaf springs myself as well anyday.
The 1st Gen 3/4 ton 4WD's are nice trucks, with heavy duty suspension, but I think that's why the doors and dash rattles off the truck. It's my guess that the bodies on the 2nd Gen's will last much longer due to the softer suspension. I do love the chassis on my dad's 1st Gen though. I'd love to set a '72 Chevy body on top.