12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

more than just the fuel shutoff selonoid..?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more than just the fuel shutoff selonoid..?...

truck hasn't been turning off...usually only happens after a drive for more than an hour. I figured it was the selenoid going out. When I move the lever on the injection pump it seems like a really tough spot right before I push it down to turn it off...almost as if the fuel shut down selenoid wouldn't be strong enough to push past it if in proper working order. Usually i can turn it off with one hand but today I had to get an extension to get two hands of presure on it to turn it off...
...then, also today...
I don't have power past half throttle now...no smoke either....truck has 3kgsk, 100 plate, afc set to 'smoke'...

...I remember reading about the nylon or rubber peice in the pump that actually does the fuel blocking off...is this part going bad? The brand new Bosch remanufactored injection pump has less than 1500 miles on it.

Whats the deal?
Thanks
Old 10-16-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Try disconnecting the connector to the solenoid next time it sticks. If the engine stops the problem is your starter contacts are worn out and sticking.
Buy new ones here http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm

If it still runs after pulling the power it's most likely because the protective rubber boot at the bottom of the solenoid is torn up or gone allowing gunk and rust to bind up the solenoid. Remove the solenoid and clean it well and you should be good to go. Be careful not to lose parts upon removal. Replace the boot with one from the link above or make one out of a length of bicycle inner tube and two cable ties.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:27 PM

with truck running...pull plug...the selenoid plunger snaps down...truck still runs...

now I cant even push the lever down to make the truck turn off...

...hmm...
Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to say it but it sounds like you may have an internal injection pump problem.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:47 AM

So i finally pull the truck in the shop where theres some light and start messing with this thing...

...turns out the bolt had come loose that holds the shut off lever to the shaft and the key had worked its way out...simple enough...

thanks for your help though...
Old 10-21-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Reading your post, it reminded me of me.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=103820

Same problem. Glad you found it before you disassembled your IP. A keyword search might have been useful.