12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idle Issues

Hey guys

I need to know what you alls take is on this. I have my GSK adjusted just right (so i think) and now im havin some idle issues. I can turn on the truck and it will sometimes idle at 750 with the AC on, and about 850 with the AC off, and other times it will idle at about 850-900 with AC on and at 950-1000 rpms with AC off.

What does this tell me that I need to do? I have been messin with my g springs for a while now tryin to get them adjusted to stop the surging that it had with the 370s, now it worked, But i have an unsteady idle.. am I missing something here? Is the idle spring bad?

Please help me..

Sorry for the bother (I know as of late im becomin a pest)

Rick
Old 08-24-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bad throttle cable maybe?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by plow
A bad throttle cable maybe?

Recall item

took care of it...

Rick
Old 08-24-2006, 10:12 AM

There is a spring that holds the throttle lever tight to the stop, could it be weak letting it come off the stop? Or did all of this start when you started messing with springs? Just tring to give some ideas, when I installed my gsk I didn't even have to adjust the idle, don't understand why it don't do it all the time if it was the springs. I have seen a few trucks do this but all of them were stock and it was misadjusted throttle linkage. Instead of adjusting the idle screw they were messing with the linkage to adjust the idle, there is a piece of metal right below the back of the pump it has 4 or 5 holes in it and the linkage is connected to one of them, moving it from hole to hole will change the idle and could limit pedal travel, the nut can come loose and give you a inconsistant idle. Just something to check.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:26 PM

I just did the washer GSK and came out of it with the same idle that I had before the mod. But you know how it goes, I thought I'd try and make it even better and started screwing with the idle. I have run it at stockish idle and also slightly higher since then, and I have noticed same RPM fluxuation that you described. It is not a lot, but it does vary. It is usually lowest when starting it cold. I never paid close attention to the idle till after the mod, so I don't know if it was there the whole time, or if something changed. I deffinately didn't adjust the linkage or anything like that. If I find anything I'll let you know.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:27 PM

Sounds like most likely what happend is you dont have the governor spring height the same on both sides, because that will make the idle run high then low and also can cause hard starting. but i would guess that your spring height isnt the same on both sides. i would look there first. P.S, your surging with the 370's you have is due to a difference in the injection angle on the holes in the tip. to fully cure that you need marine pistons.

Chris
Old 08-29-2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by chop342
Sounds like most likely what happend is you dont have the governor spring height the same on both sides, because that will make the idle run high then low and also can cause hard starting. but i would guess that your spring height isnt the same on both sides. i would look there first. P.S, your surging with the 370's you have is due to a difference in the injection angle on the holes in the tip. to fully cure that you need marine pistons.

Chris

Ive measured springs

they are pretty close to being even. Id say they are not off at all, or very minimally at most. I have been told that governer bounce is common in some trucks like mine, so as of right now, i just learned to live with it. Plus its easier on my rpms when i take off in first low with the rpms still at 750 or so...

Thanks for the advise tho!

PS, interesting note on the injectors, messing with the G springs will minimize surging (at least it did with me), there are some half cut DV's that are supposed to stop the surge as well, and finally my pump is missing one throttle return spring.. Combination of factors in my case...

Rick
Old 08-29-2006, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chop342
your surging with the 370's you have is due to a difference in the injection angle on the holes in the tip. to fully cure that you need marine pistons.

Chris
Or 435's EDM injectors they run smooth!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 12valve
They are on Rick's list. But he is gonna need air before even bigger injectors.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve
I like the way you think on issues like this!