12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Posi-Loc problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posi-Loc problems

I purchased a Posi-Loc last spring, and finally got around to installing it a couple months ago. I haven't had to use it much, just a couple times while working around the yard, nothing too difficult. I had it pop out on me a couple times (a loud POP, and the **** was back in against the stop, like in 4x2). Well today I had to use it for a real pull for the first time, trying to climb up my wet lawn, then up a bank to the road. Not an extremely difficult section...my Wrangler does it without spinning a tire. Well I was going to use a bit of momentum, and hit the throttle, and again...POP. Well this time the **** wasn't all the way back in...but I pulled out on it again anyway, and tried going forward. POP again, no 4x4. I pulled the actuator from the axle, and the fork was still in the unlock position, even with the **** out on the Posi-Loc. When I pull the ****, it is stuck about half way out, and won't move in either direction. I tried turning it, but it feels like the threads are stripped.

Has anyone else had a problem with their Posi-Loc? I'm trying to find my paperwork from when I bought it, but without luck. I think I'm out my $230 purchase price after about 3 uses! I guess I'll go to the ******* and buy the vacuum setup, at least the original lasted quite a while.

Jim
Old 09-03-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NHDiesel
I purchased a Posi-Loc last spring, and finally got around to installing it a couple months ago. I haven't had to use it much, just a couple times while working around the yard, nothing too difficult. I had it pop out on me a couple times (a loud POP, and the **** was back in against the stop, like in 4x2). Well today I had to use it for a real pull for the first time, trying to climb up my wet lawn, then up a bank to the road. Not an extremely difficult section...my Wrangler does it without spinning a tire. Well I was going to use a bit of momentum, and hit the throttle, and again...POP. Well this time the **** wasn't all the way back in...but I pulled out on it again anyway, and tried going forward. POP again, no 4x4. I pulled the actuator from the axle, and the fork was still in the unlock position, even with the **** out on the Posi-Loc. When I pull the ****, it is stuck about half way out, and won't move in either direction. I tried turning it, but it feels like the threads are stripped.

Has anyone else had a problem with their Posi-Loc? I'm trying to find my paperwork from when I bought it, but without luck. I think I'm out my $230 purchase price after about 3 uses! I guess I'll go to the ******* and buy the vacuum setup, at least the original lasted quite a while.

Jim

Never had a problem with mine,

but i do have to ask, did you properly adjust it? if it is not properly adjusted it might cause it to pop out, But im thinkin that the popping out is not nesseserily the actual Posi lock kit, maybe your collar, and splines on the axle shafts are probably stripped, or torqued in some way.. and the misaligning of them could possibly be causing them to pop out. Also, what condition was the fork in when you got the Posi lock in?

can you manually put in and take out the collar when ur truck is disassembled from the CAD? lift up both front tires and try to see if the actual collar isnt the problem, rotate the tires with the collar in and out and see what happens (with the front end up)

the only problem that i had with my posi lock was that the C clips fell out and my fork wouldnt engage, not disenage, i doubled up on clips and solved that problem..

Rick
Old 09-03-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
popping the cover off the CAD stuff in the front axle isnt hard. Should let you see whats going on in there.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:43 PM

I had more time to look into it (rain let up a bit) and this is what I found. I pulled the disconnect off the axle housing and tried moving the ****- nothing. Next step is that I was going to remove the cable from the CAD housing and see if the cable itself moved. I pulled the clips from the end of the cable (steel shaft), but the cable wouldn't pull out of the housing. Strange. Then I removed the 4x4 indicator switch adapter, and it was kind of difficult to remove. I got it off and the cable was much more loose than. I tried sliding the fork off the cable, no luck. I pushed it the other way, and was able to see the problem- the steel pin section at the end of the cable, that the fork mounts on, was BENT! Now I can't slide the fork off the cable, so I won't be able to move the cable from the truck this way. The only way I see to do it is to cut the end of the cable where it enters the CAD housing and slide the pin out the indicator switch hole.

I'm not real impressed at this point. I bought the fork brand new when I bought the PosiLok, and I checked the collar and axle shaft splines, and they were in perfect shape. Now that this popped out today, the very ends of the splines are kind of chewed up. Tomorrow I'll have to jack up that corner of the truck and see if the collar will easily engage the axle shafts. Hopefully the shafts are salvageable. Tuesday I'll have to call the PosiLok company and see how much a new cable is.

Jim
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 PM

I found out why the shaft bent. I didn't notice it when I originally assembled the PosiLok, but apparently the shaft the shift fork rides on is only supported at one end, inside the adapter for the 4x4 indicator switch. So when there is any side load to the shift fork, there is very little support for the shaft, and it can easily bend. I looked at the original housing and shaft, and the OEM shaft is supported on BOTH ends of the shaft.

I would say the PosiLok is poorly designed. Anyone who has a Posilok should watch out for the shaft bending. If it ever gets difficult to engage or disengage, the shaft could be bent, causing it to bind in the 4x4 indicator switch adapter.

Jim (looking forward to getting a Ford Dana 60, LEAF springs, and REAL locking hubs installed!)