12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

hub removal trick?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 valve must be differnt as I can't see how I would have even tried to repack mine. Great tip if it works just the same however!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:12 PM

greenworks

Do you have pix of your old hub? I sure would like to see it. I have seen some of these hubs that were very rusty when they came apart so the damage was already there before they tried to remove them. My hub that came apart was clean of rust and so as a precaution I repacked and pressed the hub back together (100,000 miles). If mine had looked like some of the others I would not have tried as the rust and pitting was severe.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:28 AM

Smile

Joseph & Geenworks,

Thanks, you've inspired me to try this.

But in case this doesn't work;

Can I ask, Did to buy your new hub through a dealer ?
The three independent auto supply houses says that the hub they have is for non-ABS or rear ABS Only. They do not list Front ABS at all.

But the one the have sure looks like it. I need to physicallly remove the rear half of the hub and compare it at the store. My recollection is that the ABS rotor is not part of the hub. I'm at work, my truck is in my garage.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Ray
Old 10-18-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Smith
Do you have pix of your old hub? I sure would like to see it. I have seen some of these hubs that were very rusty when they came apart so the damage was already there before they tried to remove them. My hub that came apart was clean of rust and so as a precaution I repacked and pressed the hub back together (100,000 miles). If mine had looked like some of the others I would not have tried as the rust and pitting was severe.
mine never seperated I only say this looking at the assembly as a whole when I did my ball joints
Old 10-18-2006, 06:28 PM

Rscher

What is the info on your truck? When I bought mine I got a hub that was listed for 4w abs as that is what I have. If the grease in your hub is still moist or if it is dry but you have little to no rust you should be able to clean off the old grease from all surfaces and use some quality wheel bearing grease to repack it. It is just like any other bearing only completely open. Inspect for pitting and scoring as well as ***** that are out of round. Just a basic bearing inspection. Remember to put alot on the inner race so that the grease will hold the ***** in place so you can line up the outer hub half. Can you post any pix of it so we can see it apart? Pix are better than a thousand words.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:46 PM

this is great news if front wheel bearings can be separated and repacked full of grease.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What I've found with the sealed front bearing separating and repacking is that the next time they come right apart like nothing. This indicates to me that they never lock back together correctly again after being split.
My feeling is it's a short term fix that I wouldn't trust when being far from home. For me the worry factor just isn't worth it.