12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Governer Springs/Washer

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Governer Springs/Washer

I here people talking about putting new governer springs or a washer in to correct a problem, or adjust performance. First question, which does it actually do? Second question, Any chance this would fix a sputtering problem I'm having. The sputter or shaking happens around 1100 rpm. I have had diiferent answers from different mechanics. Some say new pump others say delivery valves and others say governer springs.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Governer springs are a performance modification. It only allows the engine to rev past ~2500 rpms.
In stock form the 12valves will start to defuel somewhere around 2200~2500 rpms.
The springs will allow the engine to continue to pull through those rpms.
There are 3000 rpm governer spring kits, (3gsk) 4000 gsk's and there may be more above that.
If you go to a 4gsk, you will need to modify other parts of the engine, such as valve springs.
Often, with the introduction of a spring kit, many find the engine sputters at idle or idles too low. This often requires some fine tuning to fix.
I am no export, so dont place too much wieght on my thoughts, but Im not sure how the gov springs would cause a miss condition at mid rpm range (stock or otherwise).
Id be more likely to think injectors, injection pump or maybe dv's.
I experienced the same condition on my truck. However, I had a slight miss at idle and that miss was more noticeable between 1100 and 1800 rpms.
Truck still ran good, just had this annoying miss.
Cummins diagnosed it as a bad pump.
They replaced the pump and the same problem was still there.
They replaced the replaced pump and the problem went away.

Rich.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am surprised to here you say many notice a sputter after gov springs are installed, not trying to be conflicting,but we have installed g-springs just to get rid of the sputter and it makes a big difference. One thing we need to make sure weather you are talking about a miss or a sputter. My suburban misses on #5 cylinder if I am running diesel but that is a miss and miss only. If you are talking about that sputter you get lets say driving through a parking lot and giving it just a little throttle than I would say put a set of g-springs in and you will probably see it is fixed besides you need g-springs any way they make your truck so much more desirable.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A set of 3k springs make a heck of a difference.I had no issues at all after i installed mine, not idle change or anything. The big thing when changing the springs is to carefully measure the height of the spring keepers in relation to the stud, every pump is different and each side could be different so be sure and write it down.
Your problem could be a bad injector or any part of the fuel system. Try cracking open each injector a bit while it is running and see if it makes any difference to howw it runs.This may help you to figure out if it is an injector or not.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:26 PM

94 & even 95's are notorious for a sputter, stumble, hesitation, miss (lots of words to describe) just above idle. The governor springs were set a click or 2 loose from the factory. You can clean it up by tightening the stock springs. But ... as long as you've gone to the trouble of opening the pump you may as well upgrade with a 3k or 4k GSK?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 PM

Question

Thanks guys that sheds some light on the subject! How about delivery valves though. What advantage do they provide?