3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EMS hub conversion with factory hub caps (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMS hub conversion with factory hub caps (pics)

Some guys were talking about doing hub conversions on another forum and I offered to bore their hub caps out free of charge as long as they paid shipping. One guy took me up on it after a few pm's, phone calls, and a some waiting on UPS the results are below. Just helping out a fellow Dodge/CTD guy. It's not a big job only takes about 10 minutes per cap to bore the holes and maybe he saved $75 ?? to have a machine shop do it. His truck is an '06 2500 with, I think they are, 1995 or so wheels and hub caps. He's looking to get some 305's on there when the stockers wear out. He's real happy with it all on there. Here they are finished job pics and lathe pics doing the caps:

Dialed in and ready to bore

Chamfering

One down one to go

Finished

EMS kit installed with hub caps

Old 12-16-2007, 02:27 AM

Well here is a question for all with the EMS kit. I installed mine about 5k ago and the hubs them selves feel like there are loose, like as if they are floating there. I call Eric and John at EMS and they told me that they would tighten up over time. They said they have contacted warn about it but have not herd anything back from them. So if anyone knows how i can tighten them up please let me know by post here or by PM. I dont like the grease all the way down the side of my truck. thanks. Also i like the kit and have had no problems since install and would recoment it to anyone.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:29 AM

Also, sorry to high jack this thread and those caps look awsome
Old 12-16-2007, 07:57 AM

I just couldn't get my head around having the lockers stick out 8 inches past the tire...For $1800 I'd like to see something a little more built to purpose. My stupid dually simulators got scaped off the front of my truck so many times I just threw them away. If you don't go where stumps and rocks were sticking up they would be ok...like mud roads but I can't imagine having the rims being that wide...ks
Old 12-16-2007, 09:09 AM

Those are 3rd gen steelies(17"s) and 2nd gen caps, 16" wheels off a '95 would never clear the brakes.

Looks good though, Have they ever thought about using the newer ford center caps? Already has the holes in the front two(not sure about size of the hole though)
Old 12-16-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abc4yew
I just couldn't get my head around having the lockers stick out 8 inches past the tire...For $1800 I'd like to see something a little more built to purpose. My stupid dually simulators got scaped off the front of my truck so many times I just threw them away. If you don't go where stumps and rocks were sticking up they would be ok...like mud roads but I can't imagine having the rims being that wide...ks
yeah I'm with you the kit is a great idea and Chris did a great job on the hubcaps..but dang cant they find a lower profile hub????...looks kinda weird having that huge thing sticking out......I know dynatrac make a new low profile hub for rock crawling but I don't know if it is for the AAM axles???
Old 12-16-2007, 10:46 AM

I would really like some. There is one campground I frequent where I would really like to have a low range/2-wheel drive. The sticking out would probably not look as funny w/some 33's or 35's.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by DODGER BOMBER
Well here is a question for all with the EMS kit. I installed mine about 5k ago and the hubs them selves feel like there are loose, like as if they are floating there. I call Eric and John at EMS and they told me that they would tighten up over time. They said they have contacted warn about it but have not herd anything back from them. So if anyone knows how i can tighten them up please let me know by post here or by PM. I dont like the grease all the way down the side of my truck. thanks. Also i like the kit and have had no problems since install and would recoment it to anyone.
Depending on the brand of lockouts they will float. I had MileMarkers that did that. Also, they can loosen up over time, I have had more problems with that than anything else. Make sure they are still on there tight.

Andy
Old 12-16-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
those look like they stick out way more than my dyna-trac locking hubs. dyna -trac is suppose to have a "stub hub" kit available soon-that is a little over two inches shorter than their standard locking hub kit.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:44 PM

Some aftermarket wheels with the right offset will tuck them in a little more. They stick out way far on his truck with those 265 tires. Dynatrac's stick out 2" past the end of the hubcap face and EMS stick out 2.250" I think they look good on there you just have to be mindful offroad. My hubs don't feel loose or anything but I'll sure be keeping an eye on it. I've eyeballed the Ford hubcaps but never had a chance to put some calipers on them stacked they "look" to be a little small for our setups. Here's a closeup I didn't get posted last night. I bored the cap holes .060 over to give a good .030 clearance from this pic though it almost looks like a slip fit but there is a small gap there..

Old 12-16-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I e-mailed Dynatrac about the availability of "stubbies" for '06-07 trucks but no answer. They are available for '03-05's
Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM

the "stubbies" will fit the 3rd gen trucks. another member here talked to dyna-trac at the sema show. said they would be available real soon. when i bought my standard dyna trac locking hub kit this past june, dyna-trac included their catalog with my order. in that catalog, six months ago, it showed the "stubby kit". i would give them a call-quicker than an email!
Old 12-16-2007, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Danderson
I e-mailed Dynatrac about the availability of "stubbies" for '06-07 trucks but no answer. They are available for '03-05's
What do you mean by stubbies??? AFIK there is no difference in front axles from 03 thru 08...
Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM

http://www.dynatrac.com/products_stubhub_kits.html#
Old 12-17-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so I wonder if you can get that on you free-spin kit off the bat and save some $$$

Quick Reply: EMS hub conversion with factory hub caps (pics)