12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

HELP - starting / bleeding after new Overflow Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - starting / bleeding after new Overflow Valve?

Just put in a new overflow valve and now can't get it to start.
At first tried just by cranking and then just cracked first five injector lines.
Finally got a little fuel on number five and brief sputter. Went ahead and re-tightened all lines at that time and tried to start - nothing still and batteries are getting low.
Have it on a charger right now.

Did I tighten the lines back up too soon? Crack them again and let more fuel start to flow out?

Don't remember this much trouble even when I pulled all the lines and injectors several years ago.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:01 PM

That's weird did mine a few weeks ago and I just bled it at the fuel filter and it started right up.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Did you try using the priming pump first? The one you push with your thumb until your finger goes numb. Make sure the lever is getting pulled up by the solenoid when cranking.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 PM

Big Iron,

At first I just tried to start and then I cracked the bleed screw on the filter and pumped the prime button (that may have let me air in ).

After no luck I cracked lines 1-5 and took quite a while until I started to get some seapage on 5; went ahead and closed all after that - should have left cracked.

Right now close but not there yet. Batteries dead...

Cracked three lines and almost got it to light; just wouldn't run on it's own in order to get out and tighten.
(4,5, & 6 are wet at the nut/line now).

1. How much should I loosen the injector line nut when cracking lines?
2. I have been alternating between cranking and using the lift pump prime button. Should the lift pump button be able to push fuel all the way thru the 7100 and to the injectors where I would see fuel when cracked?
3. What about using compressed air at the fuel filler? I've seen posts where others have used an air nozzle / rag to prime. How much pressure? Any concern blowing out pump seals?

To add to the problem I think I have a bad battery.
Letting the thing get fully charged right now before I get too frustrated.
Maybe a 'soda' for now and get back to it in the morning.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Just tried again.

Lines 4, 5, & 6 had already started to show fuel.
Cracked 1, 2, & 3 and cranked about 4 times for 20 seconds each before battery started slowing.
Still no sign of fuel on 1 2 or 3.

Should the overflow valve be cracked / bled?
When I changed the overflow I did hear quite a bit of what sounded like fuel draining back down; I assume that is normal when removing the overflow valve.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
When you remove the OF valve fuel drains back down the return but if you start it right away it will usually fire right up.
I never bleed anything after changing the valve.

If you have compressed air have someone pressurize the tank 10 psi max with a blow gun wrapped in a rag while you crank with fully charged batteries.
It should fire up, run badly for a short while then pull out of it.
When I start a truck that has been badly airlocked I give it full throttle while cranking.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM

Sorry to steal your post but I am having a similar problem after I put in my new head gasket. At first it would try to start when I cranked it, now nothing. I opened the bleeding valve on top of the fuel filter deal while i was pushing the primer bulb. I did this untill a steady stream of diesel was comming out, then closed it. Then I tried to start it, and still nothing. Then I read on here to open up the fittings to the injectors, well I did that and im gettin fuel to cylinders 3,4,5,6 but not 1 and 2. Plus it is barley seeping out. Ive pressed that dang primmer bulb 200-300 times and still nothing. I also tried to just start it while they were open and nothing. If someone could tell me what to do, and or what im doin wrong I would appreciate it greatly!
Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If, your not sucking any air you should be ok, I never crank at more that 12-15 sec intervels... sounds like you are getting close, If you have fuel at 4 5 6 snug them up and once you start getting fuel to 1 2 or 3 snug it up and it should bark off and clean out.. If you feel like giving her a shot of either, it will help since your battery sounds weak.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 PM

allright so its ok that 4,5,6 arent shooting out fuel, just as long as a little is coming out I can close them? I dont really wanna use staring fluid, my luck id blow something up haha
Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, there should be a decent amount seeping out in order to tighten it up. Then work to the next one that seems to be squirting good and so on down the line. Its usally easier to throw a wife or gf in the cab while ur under the hood, doing it by yourself is tricky if your new to it.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 AM

Priming......

Take a shop rag and stuff it in the fuel fill hole, regulate your shop air to 10psi or less, and pressurize the tank until you get fuel out the bleeder. Start truck.