12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Help auto trans shift problem from first to second

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help auto trans shift problem from first to second

99 dodge ctd with auto, truck started this last week and it's gotton worse. I can take off from a dead stop doesn't matter how muct throttle I give it the truck won't shift outta first i can wrap her up to about 3100 and let off ( about 26 miles an hour) and let it almost drop to idle and ease back into it and it will shift and shift fine through 2 3 4 I can manually down shift into second and it will shift into it if I try manually shifting from being stopped it won't make a difference. Tranny has a shift kit in it . Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jarred
Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by All-in99
99 dodge ctd with auto, truck started this last week and it's gotton worse. I can take off from a dead stop doesn't matter how muct throttle I give it the truck won't shift outta first i can wrap her up to about 3100 and let off ( about 26 miles an hour) and let it almost drop to idle and ease back into it and it will shift and shift fine through 2 3 4 I can manually down shift into second and it will shift into it if I try manually shifting from being stopped it won't make a difference. Tranny has a shift kit in it . Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jarred
Are you stuck somewhere away from home with it?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM

No I'm afraid I might be tho come tomorrow I need the truck to make a 30 mile trip hauling a mud truck don't want tranny to go out
Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 PM

Do you have a Check Engine Light on? If you have a DTC set that would get you pointed in the right direction for diag. otherwise you may need to trey adjusting the band in the trans
Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 PM

No also checked to see if there might be a hidden one and there wasn't just replaced speed sensor on tranny and it worked up on a jack but not when I took it down road did the same thing it holds great in first I can break tires loose no problem just won't shift
Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 PM

I looked in my service manual fpr your symptom, First thing would be to check fluid level, cable and linkage. If all ok, it could be front band adj., also could be sticking gov.valve,clutch or servo problem, or as simple as a partly clogged filter. Start with the simplest 9 out of ten times its something simple.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Second gear comes on when the low rev band is applied. it may be that you are slipping it when on the throttle, then when you let off it catches. A band adj is easy. the adj screw is right about the linkage on the driver side of the trans.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:04 AM

Had this happen to my 96 47re replacing the gov solenoid fixed it. If you can have someone put a scanner on it whale you drive should give you more information.

Floyd
Old 01-23-2011, 10:45 PM

Well I wish it was something simple thanks for the replies I started off checking the simple things , was none of those dropped the pan found a nice chunk of metal in it... Thought well crap... Went ahead pulled the valve body out and looked at that front band which was very loose still popped the hooks off of it and slid it down nothin left of it and the drum was tore up pretty bad so I guess it's tranny time, thanks for the help on diagnosing it, I am thinking about doing a 5 speed swap what are yalls opinions on that ????
Old 01-23-2011, 11:06 PM

I had a full built ATS trans in my 99. You will never want to go manuel again. IMO!!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 AM

About what do they run and you don't think a five speed would be a good idea
Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Your manuel conversion will cost more than the ATS fully built trans. The ATS stage 2 with a 5 disk converter, double deep pan and billet input shaft MSRPs for $4775. Drop the billet input shaft and it is $800 less. then you will have some shipping and installation. But if you go to an ATS dealer, you prob won't have to pay mSRP.
B&G Electric is an ATS Dealer and they are in Pampa. way north. then you have DRV Diesel Performance in Tomball TX.
you can call ATS for other dealers closer to you.
You will love it!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 AM

Alright I'll call and see if there is one close by but I'm kinda on a tight budget as i am fixing to move Which it always seems like everything goes wrong or breaks at the wrong time, I have found a truck and I could do the five speed conversion for around 1500 but problem is he doesn't have the interior components to make it look factory. If I could afford over $4000 it wouldn't be that big a deal I know nothing on these trucks is cheap I don't have a problem with that it just happened at the wrong time lol
Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 AM

I totally understand. The pump on my tranny just went away a week ago Saturday. I had to Ship it to Denver to have them rebuild it. I have a shop and can do my own installs so that helps, but it is still going to cost around $3K even though I already have my ATS Torque Converter and Deep pan. But once it is done, I won't have to worry any more. 5yr 500k warranty. I don't think there is ever going to be a good time for the transmissions to go bad.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Well I don't have a shop I'm stuck outside doing all this in a gravel driveway my garage is too small to fit a car in kinda funny that it's called a two car garage too lol. So I get to deal with cold and wind I do do all my own work but some things just gotta get fixed somewhere else I have done a five speed conversion in my old 74 chevrolet truck that was a pain but if I can get a good reliable auto then I might just do that

Quick Reply: Help auto trans shift problem from first to second