12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Hard shift 2nd to 1st-Allison 545 tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard shift 2nd to 1st-Allison 545 tranny

I purchased a 1998 2500 12 valve high milage flatbed truck for farm use 6 months ago. This truck has high milage and has an Allison 545 transmission (installed last year). The Allison 545 is an automatic with 4 forward speeds. The down side of the Allison is it doesn't have a Park setting and with the oversized rear tires I get a top speed of 62 mph, but ok for my use.

Problem: When slowing down to a stop, the transimission shifts abruptly (hard) from 2nd to 1st. -----Shifts to next higher gear for all speeds 2100 rpm. ----Shifts down from 2nd to 1st at 12mph. fluid is clean, no leaks.

The truck is currently in use. I realize there maybe a number of issues that could cause the problem. Just looking for easy, more common solutions first.

Ok, one more question: Is their an easy fix to get a higher road speed (like change rear end gears)?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:16 PM

That tranny is bad for that, it was built for medium duty trucks with a gas engine. I always prepare my self for those violent shifts. Is it the one with the cable modulator or is it electronic? also they are known for weak torque convertors.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:22 PM

Allison 545

Thanks Jack for your reply. I don't know if the modulator is mechanical or vaccum, but I will find out and post.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Ggg

Your symptoms sound about right for a medium duty trans in a light duty truck. The light weight of your truck is magnifying the firm shifts. I am not a gasser mechanic so I can't comment on the gas engine application but a lot of these trannies were used in medium duty chassis behind diesels such as Cummins 6B, and 4B, T444, T444e, 3208 n/a. Yes lower numerically diff gears will give you a higher road speed, and to a lesser extent larger diameter tires will too. This trans is about maxed out torque and H/P wise behind a PSD or Cummins 6B, but since your truck is so much lighter then the intended application you could get by with some more h/p and torque. As far as I know all 545AT's were cable modulated and had a lock up t/c, Allison went electric modulation with the New World trannies. None of the AT, MT, or HT series had a park pin due to the GVW of the intended chassis was too heavy and would shear it off easily. That is why the Hyd. braked medium chassis had a drum parking brake mounted on the drive shaft either mechanical or air actuated. And of course the air brake version had the "Maxi" park brake.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:44 AM

Thanks Ggg, I can't find any vaccum lines so guess it must be cable. I have some information on the Allison but it's abreviated and doesn't address the modulator.

I was thinking about adjusting the shift point (2 to 1) in an effort to soften the hard shift, hmmm. Sounds like it may not help. stihly
Old 07-14-2005, 10:15 AM

You probaly have a cable modulator valve it's easy to tell by looking at the valve at the side of the transmission. It will have a cable or wires coming out. Ggg is right it will shift harder or more positive because of what the trans was built for (heavy gvw). I have had problems with the the 545 if the modulator cable is broken or misadjusted.