12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Good Old California/Missing Cat

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Good Old California/Missing Cat

I have been hearing some unfortunate rumors that California is going to be implementing smog on diesels. How lucky can I be: 1. A 98 truck (97 and below are exempt). 2. I removed the cat and muffler to install a straight 4" pipe. 3. I have a check engine light on which is possibly related to my EGR valve.

It sounds like they are going to be conducting a visual and OBD II scan. In edition, they are still working out the GVW requirements.

I looked up a cat and it is going to cost me in the $1100 range. I have a 12V but the 24V cat is $120. I read that the 24V runs a resonator instead of a cat. Does this stand true in CA? Can I weld up a 24V cat and be all good?

Also, does anyone know of either a used or new CA legal cat for the 12V? It sounds like the the good olde golden state is still working out the details. I have owned the truck since it was new and am sad to hear this is going down. Wouldn't it make more sense to conduct smog on the newer diesel trucks equipped with factory smog hardware? Thanks for all of your help and listening to my rant.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 PM

What are they doing out there, trying to make everyone leave? I really love to visit Ca. as my wife's family are there, but is seems they make it hard on the working man, (US citizens anyway) esp. if he tries to have any fun. No way would I give 1100 bux for the cat. I think you are onto a good idea, find one for free and weld it on.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 PM

I'd look into salvage yards or post in the WTB section. Ya this stuff is keeping me from doing any more performance mods and I am going to have to rebuy the downpipe I sold after I got the new turbo if they call me on it. At least I kept the stock turbo.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 PM

i just got my registration and no smog check on it, i heard it's only in the countys that have had the smog check for gas engines every 2 years. my county only smogs vehicles when they change ownership, i talked with the local DMV who gave me this info. Also it's only for trucks with 8501# or less gvwr. i sure hope the DMV was right, or i'm screwed.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:39 PM

I heard the same thing about the gvwr. I did some more searching and found they are trying to up the gvwr to 10,000#. In addition, the checks are possibly going to be annually. It appears this is going to take place in 2010. I also, renewed my registration in May with no mention of a smog check. You are probably alright if you live in a county that only smogs change of ownership. I think I might need to register my truck to your address.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 PM

haha yeah i'm pretty much out in the boonies i'm an hour and a half from the nearest gallon of milk! hopefully the state stops this junk because of budget cut's or something, i'm tired of the big city stuff spilling over to us guys who live in rural places, california should be split up in 3 parts south-central and northern.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 AM

i have the cat off my 95 sittin along side the shop still......let me know if ya need it....you pay shipping is all.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A newer "cat", say '05, would be 4" and could be installed on your system. I put one on my 98's 4" turbo back system to help quiet it down, and in the event of eventual inspections.

Dan
Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 AM

This is the exact reason I kept my cat....in the barn if I need it
Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, with the Dem's in power, and "global warming" all the rage, It will only get worse here. The ****'s in charge will keep picking away at our Cars and trucks until there are only Electric "Green" cars (and most of our power comes from Coal, go figure) And all you guys in the other States, your day will come. It has already started. Just think what will happen when (not IF) Emissions testing becomes a Federal requirement.
Sorry about the "soap Box" But it really fires me up. And I love that you cannot Legally sell or purchase a "used" Catalytic convertor here! Stoopid California! (yes, with TWO "o's")
Old 06-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Upcoming biannual smog inspections will be for 98.5 24v and up only. Combine that with the 60% increase in dmv fees and ouch! Glad my house is almost paid off.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Danderson
Upcoming biannual smog inspections will be for 98.5 24v and up only. Combine that with the 60% increase in dmv fees and ouch! Glad my house is almost paid off.
Tell me about it, 8 cars/trucks registered, and most with personalized plates. Only 2 require Bi-annual Smog inspections.
I always wonder how they come up with the emissions data on vehicles that were never required to "pass" any kind of test.
Probably the same people that are trying to pass a budget!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nevada has smog checks for diesels if you live in Las Vegas-Clark County or in the Reno Area.

Here they just quickly glance under the truck to look for a muffler. Put your truck on the rollers, clamp a light gauge to the tail pipe to check opacity, add a load to the rollers, and have you drive your own truck and bring it up to 45mph. No snap throttle test or anything.

My truck blew 1 or 2% and i'm allowed 40%. I didn't even know I was testing when I brought it up to 45mph otherwise i would have eased the throttle more carefully and blew a 0%.

If Cali does anything like we have here in Nevada, you should have zero issues passing the smog test.

Take a look at my sig, my truck can roll coal with the best of them when turned up and it easily passed. No OBD test either, they only do that on the gassers in this state.