12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Getrag Trans and VE pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getrag Trans and VE pump questions

<br>I just picked up a 92 with a 5sp. I am curious how<br>the tranny dies...does it happen all at once and leave you sitting or does it go over time and make a bunch of bad noises? I am guessing that since Im not pulling anything<br>around that I shouldn't have any problems.<br><br>Id like to hear anybody's story about how their trans<br>died.<br><br>Id also like to know how many miles people are getting out of their VE pump. When it fails would it be possible to switch to the later model inline style? Would it get you anything to do that?<br><br>How long do the lift pumps last and do they leave you<br>sittin on the road?<br><br>THose are my only real worries about the truck...other than that I think is pretty b!tch!n'<br><br>Thanks for any replies.<br>MD<br><br><br>
Old 10-27-2002, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Getrag Trans and VE pump questions

Actually the Getrag 360 5spd is a pretty good transmission. One of the things you can do to extend the life of the transmission is overfill by 1 quart either thru the shifter boot or park the truck on a hill and overfill. From what I have gathered, the input shaft doesnt get adequate lubrication at the stock oil level. Be sure and use a good 5w30 syn.

As you can see from my sig..I am puttin 222hp to the ground with basically just pump mods. I have been running the truck like this for over 30k with no pump problems what so ever. The truck currently has 192k on it. However, I will be switching to the POD injectors to alleviate the strain on the pump as well as gain more hp and tq.

Alot of work will have to be done in order to run the inline P-Pump. Some that come to mind is. new gear case and cover, fuel lines, intake horn, etc.

As far as the transfer pump (lift pump), the 1st gens use a diapraghm type lift pump. Much like the carburated gassers do. I personally havent had any problems with mine.

Hope this helps. ;D
Old 10-28-2002, 03:39 PM

another note on the 'trag, from what I've gathered, they start to pop out of 5th gear after having a load on them up a hill or something and then letting off. the shift rails get distorted and no longer hold it in 5th, but the tranny itself doesn't break
Old 10-28-2002, 04:46 PM

I added an extra quart of oil and used 10w40 synthetic instead of 5w30 I also added 8oz of white lightning (teflon) as i have had great success with it in several rear ends. actually saw the operating temp go down 30 deg. i never did check to see if the temp on the tranny went down though just assumed it would. anyway after adding thicker oil and the teflon i noticed it was much quieter and vibrated less and the shifter was a bit tighter. did this 15,000 miles ago still holding on.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be just fine with the 10W30 Syn. But, I would sure watch out for anything higher than that. The oil gallery to the input shaft is very small and pretty high up on the gear box. A heavy oil will not &quot;sling&quot; up onto the input shaft gears as well as a lighter weight oil.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:48 PM

<br>Thanks for the info!<br><br>MD