12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Ford guy...looking to come over to this side!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford guy...looking to come over to this side!

Hey all, new to this site, but not to forums by any means.

Anyways right now I've got a '93 F-250 SuperCab Longbed...7.3L non-turbo diesel. I've had it for a little over a year, love the truck, but it's about time I step up to something with a bit more power, less miles, more power, better fuel mileage, more power, and more "luxurious" (power windows would be nice!) Mine's got 268K miles on it, runs great, but towing a car trailer around a bit, I need the extra power.

I've read a bit about the 12v vs. 24v stuff, and also looked at Banks' site...so powerwise, and economics, the 12v is the one I'm looking at. I want to spend maybe $6-7K on a truck.

I found one yesterday and took it for a spin. It's a '96 2500 SLT Laramie longbed extended cab 2WD. (Dunno if they're all x-cab or not). Had 225K on it, seemed to drive good. The guy said the previous owner spent about $1500+ on replacing a bunch of stuff on the front end of the truck, so that shouldn't be a problem. The oil pressure gauge is wacky, seems to need brakes too.

Just new to these trucks, wondering if there's any specific things to look for while looking at these trucks, problematic areas etc. that I can see pretty quick and know when to run.

I'll have to sell my truck first though before I try and make this jump.

Thanks for any input (...and YES I know how the search button works. )

-Dave
Old 06-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Oh, for the helluvit here's what I'm driving now...looks good for 270K miles

Old 06-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dave, Welcome to DTR.
Even if you dont sell your truck, your still welcome to hang out here. We have a lot of folks with knowledge on all brands, not just Dodge/CTD's.

There are some things to watch for with a 12 Valve CTD.

Brakes on these trucks are the best. They can be improved quickly and cheaply by replacing the rear brake cylinders with ones from a GM. Theres multiple threads here discussing this conversion.

The engines are great. Some of the 2nd gen 12 valves suffer from a pin that can fall out. This pin falls into the timing gear case and can cause $$$ damage. Its referred to as the KDP (Killer Dowel Pin). However, it too is a quick fix.

The 4x4's have a tendency to developer steering issues known as "The Death Wobble". Theres a lot of info out there on this term. Many ideas and way to reduce/fix this issue.
Im not sure if this issue affected the 2 wheel drive trucks.

The auto trannys on these trucks are good for stock applications. If you modify the engine, the trans will need to be modified to hold the power.

These are the cons of a 12 valve, 2nd gen.
The pro's are too long to list here.
They are good engines.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:38 AM

well you'll never have problems with the 12 valve motor....everythign is mechanical...no comp will play tricks on u...so if ur a wrench turner then you'll be very happy cause u can do all fixes pretty much yourself....i have an auto and have neevr had a problem if i could do it over again id go with a manual just cause i think they belong behind diesels more

oh ps. start getting gauges now cause u can get tons of power in a weekend out of a 12 valve
Old 06-08-2005, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the info so far guys. I searched that KDP deal, looks like an easy fix. I'll ask the P.O. if he knows anything about it...wonder if it's an arguing point to drop the price...then again, the $7K he wants for it isn't too much anyways...maybe he'd take $6500, needing brakes etc., who knows.

Sweet! Turning a wrench ain't nothing that scares me.

Another project...

Old 06-08-2005, 11:47 AM

Well Dave,

If you get that deep into something as difficult to work on as those Firebirds were, you'll have no problem with these at all.

I would tend to reccommend the manual trans over the automatics. Look for a truck that is clean and has not been abused, and you will get great service life out of it. Some people say the "Dodge truck falls apart awfully quick." I don't see where they get this idea. With the current mileage over 290k on my '96, I have no squeaks or rattles at all, and it's in great shape overall. There was a 2001 in the classified section here that just sold with over 430k miles on it! These truck are great for the miles, and they are comfortable rigs as well. Good luck, enjoy DTR!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:13 PM

I think before you bought it and make sure there isnt any oil leaks right around the front of the motor cause even though the kdp is a quick fix it is not nearly as cheap if it has done taken its tole. Other than that i have a 96 with 234,000 and i have run the heck outta of it. I purchased this 12valve in place of a 98 24valve 4x4 5 speed dually. It was not a good truck had 69,000 when i bought it and sold it when it had only a 100,000. And in that time the rearend went out injector pump, clucth, and a couple other things. I just didnt have luck with that truck. The 12 valve stuff seems cheaper and no injector pump worries
Old 06-09-2005, 02:06 AM

Dave,

Come on over the waters fine

Throw the IDI up for sale on TDS and it will be gone pretty quick - took me less than a day to sell The E when I mentioned I might be interesting in getting rid of her.

The other common problem that I have read about here and elsewhere (mine has this problem) is the fuel gauge does not work - but it's a cheap fix just gotta get out there and yank the sender to make the repair someday. Humm I got a free weekend might just have to do that this weekend.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too

Jumped ship from the good ol idi to the cummins, YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK!! good lord!! IDIS are good dependable engines, but honestly on mileage, torque and all other options, its like comparing chopped steak to ribeye, dont get me wrong i like both... But ya know.. the difference is awesome. I love IDIs they are my diesel roots and original diesel loves, but hey u gotta do what u gotta do. I to reccomend the manny over the auto, the torque u feel and the ease to shift of the NV4500 just makes the drive more enjoyable and for towing, its almost a must. FOr ur price u cant go wrong, and im sure u wont be dissapointed... Ur goin from a 166 (or 185 HP) Hp engine to a 215 pump that can o so easily be tuned!! and BOMBED!! from 330 foot lbs, to 440 ft lbs, oh trust me ull feel a difference!! Enjoy ur new truck and welcome to DTR fellow texan!

Tx
Old 06-09-2005, 12:58 PM

Well, I talked to the bank...I'm approved. Now I've got a decision to make. I'm going to pick up the paper after lunch and take a look-see at what else might be around! I'll reply in a bit, gotta EAT!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:33 PM

5 speeds are more dependable but dont let the automatic scare you away. I was 5 speed all the way till i got my automatic, and while i still love a manual, i cant in the lest complain about my automatic. It hasnt given me any problems so far. Good luck on your search for a truck. That seems a little steep for a 2wd with that many miles, but im not sure how the prices of trucks are in Texas. I gave $8800 for my 4wd with 163k miles on it here. I have seen 2wd regular cabs advertised for 5k dollars here with about 250k on them. Just a heads up. Good luck!

Eric
Old 06-10-2005, 11:21 AM

I looked around the area but didn't find any better deals yet...I'll keep my eyes open though!

If anyone has carfax I'd appreciate it

1B7KC23C1TJ105680
Old 06-10-2005, 03:12 PM

Carfax comes back that it was 2 owners, one was a "fleet vehicle"...dunno if that means it was taken care of to a strict maintenance schedule, or if it was beaten & neglected...I'm thinking former, but I don't know. Doesn't look like it was a construction truck or anything. Coulda just been a highway trip truck too.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:00 PM

Eh, took a closer look at that truck, not worth $7K to me...needs brakes (not sure if it's just pads, or rotors too), tires, windshield, some bodywork...I'm going to search some more. Unless he comes down to $5K :lol:
Old 06-10-2005, 09:39 PM

That's probably a good thing to find out from the onset, before you purchase it. Brake roters at Carquest for these beasts run $129 EACH and that's just one example, that many parts on these truck tens to be expensive. Are rotors for your F 250 that high?

Body work is always very very high, likely not worth looking at as you said if it needs so much.

Quick Reply: Ford guy...looking to come over to this side!