12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

finding center when replacing a steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finding center when replacing a steering box?

So finally had enough of the truck shaking down the road. The steering box had a fair bit of play so decided to replace it along with upgrading to the t-steering setup.

I am not sure if the box is centered. What is the best way to figure this out? Turn the wheel all the way to one lock, count the revolutions to the opposite lock and divide by two? I want to make sure the steering wheel and box are centered before putting on the new drag link.

TIA

Brian
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your counting the revolutions method is exactly what I would use.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn the wheel all the way to one lock, count the revolutions to the opposite lock and divide by two?
TIA

Brian[/QUOTE]

Thats what I did...it worked...
Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the replys. I will have to center the steering wheel as well as the steering box since it seems that the reman box I got didn't come centered.

And hopefully it will drive better after!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 PM

When you take it apart....Be very careful. Center the steering wheel and lock it in place(tie off with a rope or something). DO NOT turn the wheel without the steering gear connected to it.

You may disregard everything I said if your truck hasn't got an Airbag.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by JohnX
When you take it apart....Be very careful. Center the steering wheel and lock it in place(tie off with a rope or something). DO NOT turn the wheel without the steering gear connected to it.

You may disregard everything I said if your truck hasn't got an Airbag.
I did tie off the steering wheel it is just a couple of degree's off from when I originally put the lift in.

It 'kind' of has an airbag, I hate those stupid things so put a blown fuse in the airbag fuse spot and took out the airbag idiot light that comes on when there is no fuse in place.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rattlerattle
I did tie off the steering wheel it is just a couple of degree's off from when I originally put the lift in.

It 'kind' of has an airbag, I hate those stupid things so put a blown fuse in the airbag fuse spot and took out the airbag idiot light that comes on when there is no fuse in place.
Airbag vehicles use a clock spring in the column. What many people don't realize is that it is entirely possible to install a gear box a full revolution off. This is usually done by turning the wheel accidentally with the gear box out. Then they install the new box and drive away. Problem is the first time they make a sharp turn that direction, clockspring over rotates....and poof, air bag in your face

Shouldn't matter if you have it unhooked, but do it right anyway just incase you sell the truck and the person reconnects it.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM

The clockspring is also for the horn and the cruise control, so not rotating the wheel is good advice for everyone.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JohnX
but do it right anyway just incase you sell the truck and the person reconnects it.
Sounds good, lets see if I total understand then.

Am I correct to assume that there is no stop per say in the steering column, that with it unhooked from the steering box you could turn the wheel round and round until you break the clockspring? It is there steering box that has the stop that will prevent the wheel turning?

Make sense. I haven't moved the wheel as it was tied down. So if I center the box then slightly move the steering wheel to align it with the centered box and hooked the steering shaft back to the box before reinstalling the drag link.

Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Muted User

When I had my truck I removed the stock steering wheel with its airbag and replaced it with a sweet after market one, it was SOOOOOO much better and ditching the airbag was in my mind a good mod, plus there fun to set off lmao.

Oh and I moved the cruise switches to the dash, used some sweet metal toggles for that and I rigged the horn to the aftermarket wheel I got.

If its a 2nd gen it HAS a clockspring