12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Does anyone know of a good electric lift pump for a 12 v?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know of a good electric lift pump for a 12 v?

I put my newly second time rebuilt engine and could not get it to run. I found it would not build any fuel pressure. I removed the lift pump and found there is no lobe on the cam. I mean it is nice fresh clean cast. How could anyone put an engine together if they can't tell there is no lobe for the lift pump? Now I am having a problem finding an electric fuel pump that will consistently flow 30 psi and work with diesel. The only thing I can think of is putting an electric fuel pump off a mechanical 8.3. I think this should work because they use basically the same injection pump. The problem is it is $280.67 from cummins. For that kind of money I might as well put an aftermarket cam in my engine to get the most bang for the buck. I have found these lift pumps on ebay for $75, but I need an engine serial # from cummins to get the wiring plug so I can wire it. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:54 AM

Who did the rebuild? If you paid somebody to do it i'd raise nine kinds of you know what and make them put the right cam in there!
Old 09-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Teddy Bear
Who did the rebuild? If you paid somebody to do it i'd raise nine kinds of you know what and make them put the right cam in there!
I agree with Teddy Bear, they should make sure you get the right cam. I wouldn't want to replace the stock pump with a failure prone, limited electric pump. Electronics have place. But it is not on my engine.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear
Agreed, explain to them very clearly that you want it done right, do it in writing if you have to and send a copy to them and one to yourself in an sealed envelope (evidence just in case it gets ugly).

Originally Posted by DieselWrencher
How could anyone put an engine together if they can't tell there is no lobe for the lift pump?
Sounds like they used a 24valve cam in there, some people just don't pay attention to details. Nothing surprises me anymore, the only way I know it was done right is to do it myself. I wouldn't even be surprised it it had 24 valve pistons in it to.