12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

do i need a new lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do i need a new lift pump

when i get on it about 3/4 throttle the truck starts sputtering and shaking and get some white smoke instead of the dark cloud i use to at full throttle. i first thought it was a boost leak, so i replaced all my gaskets and it still does it i've notice a loud ticking noise coming from the back of the injector pump toward the firewall. where is the best place to get one and how much are they
Old 10-11-2005, 11:00 AM

How many miles do you have on the truck. Id look into the overflow valve or possibly slipped timing first. Ive heard of a few 12V lift pumps going out in the 150-200K range and do tick also.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:24 AM

o/f valve 6months ago and the timing was done 3 months ago. its fine at idle when i rev it, but when i get up around 25psi of boost it just shakes and blows a white cloud out
Old 10-11-2005, 11:31 AM

Mine does it too...when did you last change the Fuel filter! That helped mine a bunch!

I'm also going to replace my lift pump and probably all the lines too!

BTW, anyone know if a fuel filter off an 02 will hold up to the pressure of a 12v lift pump?? I've got one here I'd like to put on if it will hold the pressure!

Thanks, and good luck with your problem,
Chris
Old 10-11-2005, 12:05 PM

i have about 30,000 miles on the fuel filter. i do have a fuel pressure gauge but its been reading low since i got it, it started at 20psi and now is around 5psi. it was at 5psi when i ran the dyno and had no problem[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 10-11-2005, 02:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Since you have a fp gauge it's easy to check the lift pump. With the engine running use a pair of pliers to squeeze the rubber return line shut. If the pressure climbs the lift pump is fine. If the the pressure is less that 18 psi after this test the problem is the overflow valve.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:42 PM

How or where do I put a fuel pressure gauge...I'm guessing post filter, but do I just drill and tap the banjo into the IP, or is there some other way??

BTW, not looking for anything permanent (unless I just mount it under the hood for periodic checks) just something to test with!

Also, what kind of gauge will hold up to a 12v lift pump pulses?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-11-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
How or where do I put a fuel pressure gauge...I'm guessing post filter, but do I just drill and tap the banjo into the IP, or is there some other way??

BTW, not looking for anything permanent (unless I just mount it under the hood for periodic checks) just something to test with!

Also, what kind of gauge will hold up to a 12v lift pump pulses?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris the only other way I know of is to buy an adaptor from TST that replaces the filter bleed screw with a 1/8 pipe thread.
Drilling and tapping the the banjo is easier.
You will need a gauge snubber or needle valve cranked down almost all the way to eliminate pulsations. In a temporary setup with a needle valve you can leave it in the the banjo bolt for the next time you need it.
Another way to eliminate gauge pulsations is to use an inline fuel filter in the hose from the pump to the gauge. Air in the filter provides a dampener for the pulses but won't work in a permanent setup because the filter with eventually fill with fuel.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:43 PM

Thanks Bill, as always, good advice!!

That's also on my list now, as if it isn't long enough!!

Thanks Again,
Chris
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 PM

i am now thinking my problem is boost related i put her in fifth gear running about 70mph put the pedal down a 1/4 of the way and i was at 20psi then it started shaking. no matter what gear or how much throttle i give it i can't get over 20-22psi how do you pressurize the engine to check for boost leaks. this problem showed up after installing a radiator hopefully i didn't puncture the intercooler and its just a blown boot or something under $500
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by halerazor
i am now thinking my problem is boost related i put her in fifth gear running about 70mph put the pedal down a 1/4 of the way and i was at 20psi then it started shaking. no matter what gear or how much throttle i give it i can't get over 20-22psi how do you pressurize the engine to check for boost leaks. this problem showed up after installing a radiator hopefully i didn't puncture the intercooler and its just a blown boot or something under $500
Remember it takes fuel to make boost, if you have low fuel pressure you won't get boost.
I test for boost leaks with a 4" piece of PVC pipe that has a cap glued on it that is drilled and tapped with two 1/4" ports. One port has an air compressor fitting, the other a pressure gauge. In between the pipe and turbo I use a rubber reducing hose clamp type sewer pipe connector (Home Depot, $7) size is 4" pipe X 4" OD.
Just use a compressor to pump it up to 30 psi or so and listen or soap for leaks.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I think I can... I think...

Sounds like a fuel issue to me as well. My truck was having similar issues and finally just quit running all together. Changed out the fuel filter and I'm back in business.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:19 AM

I would still advise on changing the FF...10K is a lot on one of those, anyway!!

Chris
Old 10-12-2005, 11:33 AM

i think i'll try that and see what happens if not i'll try another o/f valve
Old 10-12-2005, 10:07 PM

timing can slip at any time i take to a diesel mechanic and he had one slip 5 times before it quit slipping

Quick Reply: do i need a new lift pump