12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

do I need more fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do I need more fuel?

alright so I was dirivng back from Florida a couple weeks ago and hit the WV mountains on the interstate to Erie PA...anyhow i thought lets give the truck a lil push..as I was going up one of the hills I progressively kept accelerating...i hit 80 mph or so and the rpm needle got stuck at about 2300rpms...foot flat to the floor it wouldnt go higher until I was on flat land again after which i got to 3200rpms as usual ..mind u it was quite an incline though ..ok so the question is what happened?....my wastegate is plugges so that isnt a factor...is it the 10 plate because of its profile?
Old 12-29-2006, 12:37 PM
JKM

I'd say if the incline was fairly steep , you were using all the power you had , although it would have to be one heck of a hill.

Is your throttle adjusted right? it may not be getting full travel , have someone floor the pedal , then go move the lever under the hood and see if it will move any farther.

Where is your plate set to?

You could check the shutoff solonoid for proper adjustment too. Low fuel pressure (bad overflow valve) could cause power loss also.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 PM

thanx for the reply...the plate is in stock position....on flat road i can rev in gear to 3300-3400rpms...although not much power past 2900rpms...solenoid is fine...Overflow valve is almost new...it was a heck of a hill..they all are....i quite frankly think its the shape of the 10 plate with the defueling towards the top....i was just curious why it would get stuck at 2300rpms like that...must be a combination of the 160pump...the 160 injectors and the plate in stock position...maybe the turbo just cant build enough boost either unless i get a bigger housing?
Old 12-29-2006, 06:15 PM
JKM

Slide your plate ahead some , how much boost are you seeing?

I have basically the same truck , and we have some wild hills out here , and i have yet to find one that i can't pull with the 10 plate and dv's.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:07 PM

About what are you making with a 10 plate in the stock position?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:10 AM
JKM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
About what are you making with a 10 plate in the stock position?
HP?
TQ?
EGT?
Boost?

what do you want to know?

IIRC my boost was somewhere around 28-30 lbs max with just the 10 plate , and EGT"S peaked somewhere around 900 deg ( I THINK) it's been over a year now.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:32 PM

HP + TQ preferrably I'm looking for someone's mod path to follow that will create decent power with EGT's that I don't need to be constantly watching.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:52 PM

i dont know egst readings or boost...i have a very light foot...if i play with the truck then its only for 10 sec max....the truck pulls great and is pretty fast too...so power is there...but this was a decent grade hill...if i go up ahill like that in 3rd locked...i can scream the engine at 3000rpms the whole way up...but in OD it got stuck at 2300rpms....like it just didnt have more...and then when the hill leveled out the rpms went up like a load was lifted of the truck...i think if i had had a 100plate then id power through that better?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:03 AM

why are all of yall still running a fuel stop plate? Its just another restriction as far as fueling. Ditch the plate 400 horse to the ground with that gone, intake, and exhaust. Egts relatively low.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kuhkuhkyle
why are all of yall still running a fuel stop plate? Its just another restriction as far as fueling. Ditch the plate 400 horse to the ground with that gone, intake, and exhaust. Egts relatively low.
I have a 500 plus rig..

and i still run a commonly cut 100 plate. The reason many people do not ditch plates is due to damage potential that can be done to the internals of the pump... There is a pin in there that can fall off and cause some major damage to the pump in the hundreds of dollars range, its something i wouldnt even risk..

Why not just deep cut the plate and remove the risk of damaging the pump? I have ran plateless before, and i can assure u that egts were not as managable when u got on it, But the power was there...

Look at Jim Fulmer, 870 plus rwhp with a number six plate, which is less aggressive than my 100 plate, So the power can be made in much safer ways..

Rick
Old 01-02-2007, 02:12 PM

Get an EGT gauge and then slide the plate forward. I had the same problem with my 175HP pump with the 10 plate centered. I have since ground it into a 100 plate and am much happier. I would imagine that the temps are high on a stock turbo this way.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by robert chilton
Get an EGT gauge and then slide the plate forward. I had the same problem with my 175HP pump with the 10 plate centered. I have since ground it into a 100 plate and am much happier. I would imagine that the temps are high on a stock turbo this way.
the temps are potentially high at full throttle yes...just changing plates does nothing for temps if ur foot is the same...its the reserve or potential that has increased...when ur just putting around town usign half throttle u dont even touch the plate..os it doesnt matter whether u have one or not...nothing changes...but at full throttle , the lever is riding up the plate as rpms increase...the 10 plate i shaved has a nice defuel curve in the high rpms so shaving that to a 100 plate profile would probably fix the issue...along wiht slightly higher timing to burn the fuel better at those higher rpms as bigger DVs would also help to get the fuel to the injectors
Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned

if you're only seeing 900* pre-turbo then yes, you need more fuel!!!! slide that plate forward, adjust the lever arm, at least ditch the cupped AFC washer, and it oughta make those hills a little easier to attack... I'd say untill you're seeing 1400* or so, you "NEED" more fuel... you can always use the pedal to regulate temps... or you can slide the plate back a little if you prefer to be able to just hold it to the floor and not watch temps.

if you're at 900* post-turbo, move the probe pre-turbo and then do what I suggested

also, w your little pump and the #10 plate, you might prefer at 4k GSK, you might be on the defuel curve of the plate... me no likey defuel!

adjust the lever arm so that it's just touching the bottom of the plate... that and a 4k should keep you out of major defuel (that and or grind the top of the plate flat)
Old 01-02-2007, 08:43 PM

I am with Forrest but I would suggest watching the gauge. My 6 plate would hit 900 under decent acceleration in short bursts. WOT was hitting 1200-1300 on the stock turbo when I let out at 60 MPH. I know these are numbers off of a 6 plate but the 10 fueled harder in the mid range and it has been a while since I ran it and cant remember the numbers exactly. I think I could burry the pyro with the 100 plate and stock turbo. Moral is pick a high EGT# and watch the pyro.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:47 PM

So the plate isn't in effect until 100% WOT? What does everyone do for some power increase for less than WOT conditions? I'm speaking about lets say 75% throttle aggressive acceleration that doesn't require WOT. I know you all think "who does that?!" but there has been countless times in traffic where I'm accelerating with traffic, but can't exactly just mash it. I'm sticking with the stock turbo, so injectors are probably out of the question.

Quick Reply: do I need more fuel?