12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Dirty turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirty turbo!

I was wonder if there is a way to clean your turbo? (I'm new to CTD) I didn't check my air filter for about a month and when I did I found that one side has been ripped out completely (cheap Fram filter). It must have been like this for a while because there is all kinds of fine dirt on the turbo. I held the veins still to keep it from turning and blew it out with an air wand but its still got alot of dirt caked to it. I wiped as much off as I could get. I just changed the oil a few days ago and wondered why the oil was so dirty know I know why. I have a WIX air filtered ordered and am just waiting for it to arrive, should be any time now. If anyone knows any other cleaning tricks I'd appreciate it. Maybe it doesnt even matter I really don't know, but I don't like it.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive had a like issue on my truck caused by an over oiled K&N filter.
The best way to clean these is to remove the turbo and clean thoroughly.
Removal of the turbo keeps the dirt/debris from ending up in the engine.
If I read your post correctly, you blew compressed air into the turbo. If this is correct, all the dirt that was built up in the turbo is now headed for your engine.
However, it sounds like this has been going on for a while so you may want to consider a couple oil changes a to flush any/all the dirt that has been going past your air filter.

Only real way to tell is by having your oil analyzed and evaluate your silica count.

When cleaning my turbo, I used brake cleaner sprayed on a q-tip and scrubed the fins, housing and inlet tubes until clean.
Lots of time, q-tips and scrubbing.

Rich
Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 PM

Thanks Rich

Yeh I just did some hog wash and qtip thing.....oil changes are next. Looks like ill pull the turbo this weekend and have a look at the other side.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just say to take the compressor housing off I really think this can be done easily in chassis,I do not see the reason for takinf the turbo off.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:28 PM

I hate to hijack the thread but how much of an issue is getting the oil from an over-oiled filter on your turbo? I have noticed that the bottom of the air box is pretty oily since I re-oiled my AFE. I may have gone a little overboard
Old 06-13-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ironstone
I just changed the oil a few days ago and wondered why the oil was so dirty know I know why.
I'm not getting the connection here. Dirt flowing thru the turbo would go into the intercooler. Some of that could make it's way to the intake manifold, then the cylinders causing excelerated wear in the cylinder, then out the exhaust where it might excelerate the wear of the hot side of the turbo. Where in the cycle does it get in the oil?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GAmes
Where in the cycle does it get in the oil?
It gets past the rings and valves.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
It gets past the rings and valves.
Must be some pretty lousy rings and valve seals
Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GAmes
Must be some pretty lousy rings and valve seals
No engine has perfect seals around the rings and valves.

Especially one with 400k.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
I hate to hijack the thread but how much of an issue is getting the oil from an over-oiled filter on your turbo? I have noticed that the bottom of the air box is pretty oily since I re-oiled my AFE. I may have gone a little overboard
Do a search for K&N or AFE.
You may also want to do a search for over oiled air filter.
In short, it can cause the turbo to fail if the turbo becomes oil coated from the excess oil off the filter. This oil coated turbo catches the dirt and becomes grime... causing wear on the turbo and eventually, failure.
Start a new thread if your search doesnt come up with the answers your looking for.

Thanks
Rich.