12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Difference between automatic and manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between automatic and manual

So my first 96 12v was the automatic with electronic overdirve. my replacement truck is a 96 5 speed.

the automatic was totaled due to frame and suspension damage on 8/5/09 it is sitting in my pops driveway and fires right up even after a month of sitting!!!!

I just got the 5 speed last week and this thing is a piece of crap!!! KDP went through and most likely cracked timing case, oil pan leaks like crazy, leaks oil from somewhere real close to where the tranny and motor connect, abs and p-brake light always on, turbo leaks, injector at front of the motor leaks, no gauges but has k&n filter, 0 fuel plate and upgraded sport clutch. who knows what else we will find when we pull it apart. when i paid for it, this is what previous owner said "no major service. the most major thing we had to do to it was replace the timing cover seal and a new clutch lil more than a year ago.we put an upgraded sport clutch in it. tranny doesnt slip it is in exellent condition.the fuel plate is grinded down to zero.the fuel plate is pretty much like a programmer chip.this is a 12 valve which doesnt have the electronic fuel system. (which is better)"

My dad is Beast2b, he wants to build up a 12v, I need my truck to not leak a quart of oil every 150 miles. Can we do a motor swap? I know the automatics have some different parts but I dont know what. Would it be better for my wallet to swap or rebuild? both trucks are running so if some part swapping is needed to make swap work then I have a complete parts truck right there.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Swap Motors, Pump is the biggest difference, and even then I wouldn't get excited.

If you intend to turn it up at all, I would take that time to upgrade that "sport" clutch..............
Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM

should I switch the pumps? clutch feels good and it does not slip at all even with the minor power mods I have done to it. It will be my daily driver so I dont know if I plan on turning it up past 350+/- hp, that being my target range. My only problem is $ and the thought of if its not broken, dont fix it...
Old 10-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator

You probably will be OK, I am just going by the general knowledge of the former owner as to how he described it. For all we know it could have been a stock Auto Zone clutch....... If you don't mind changing it later if it slips, leave it.

If the good engine runs OK, I personally wouldn't switch the pump, easy to turn up........I assume you will be keeping the other engine for spares anyway?
Old 10-17-2009, 01:24 PM

you know at this point I think it all rests on the choice my pops has. I think if he wants to have a build up project the swap is good, if he wants to sell the other truck for $$ or any kind of value we should fix the crappy motor. I think I will try to save some $$ to change the clutch, everything else these guys said was a lie and there is no reason to start trusting their word now...

my dad knows I love diesel everything so he paid for my first truck up front because it was too good a deal to pass up, i still owe him some money for the purchase so some how I want to get him something out of this deal, so I put the choice on him 100% if he wants to swap and have a project for himself, or have a project with the crappy motor that has to come apart anyways...

im still fresh to the upgrades of the pumps, can you turn up the stock one?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Lots............after you get gauges.