Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Difference between automatic and manual (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/difference-between-automatic-manual-254787/)

Smokin96_12v 10-15-2009 11:48 AM

Difference between automatic and manual

So my first 96 12v was the automatic with electronic overdirve. my replacement truck is a 96 5 speed. [coffee]

the automatic was totaled due to frame and suspension damage on 8/5/09[verymad] it is sitting in my pops driveway and fires right up even after a month of sitting!!!![guitar]

I just got the 5 speed last week and this thing is a piece of crap[duhhh]!!! KDP went through and most likely cracked timing case[nonono], oil pan leaks like crazy, leaks oil from somewhere real close to where the tranny and motor connect, abs and p-brake light always on, turbo leaks, injector at front of the motor leaks, no gauges but has k&n filter, 0 fuel plate and upgraded sport clutch[dummy]. who knows what else we will find when we pull it apart. when i paid for it, this is what previous owner said "no major service. the most major thing we had to do to it was replace the timing cover seal and a new clutch lil more than a year ago.we put an upgraded sport clutch in it. tranny doesnt slip it is in exellent condition.the fuel plate is grinded down to zero.the fuel plate is pretty much like a programmer chip.this is a 12 valve which doesnt have the electronic fuel system. (which is better)"

My dad is Beast2b, he wants to build up a 12v, I need my truck to not leak a quart of oil every 150 miles. Can we do a motor swap? I know the automatics have some different parts but I dont know what. Would it be better for my wallet to swap or rebuild? both trucks are running so if some part swapping is needed to make swap work then I have a complete parts truck right there.

patdaly 10-15-2009 12:12 PM

Swap Motors, Pump is the biggest difference, and even then I wouldn't get excited.

If you intend to turn it up at all, I would take that time to upgrade that "sport" clutch..............

Smokin96_12v 10-15-2009 12:29 PM

should I switch the pumps? clutch feels good and it does not slip at all even with the minor power mods I have done to it. It will be my daily driver so I dont know if I plan on turning it up past 350+/- hp, that being my target range. My only problem is $ and the thought of if its not broken, dont fix it...

patdaly 10-15-2009 04:15 PM

You probably will be OK, I am just going by the general knowledge of the former owner as to how he described it. For all we know it could have been a stock Auto Zone clutch....... If you don't mind changing it later if it slips, leave it.

If the good engine runs OK, I personally wouldn't switch the pump, easy to turn up........I assume you will be keeping the other engine for spares anyway?

Smokin96_12v 10-17-2009 01:24 PM

you know at this point I think it all rests on the choice my pops has. I think if he wants to have a build up project the swap is good, if he wants to sell the other truck for $$ or any kind of value we should fix the crappy motor. I think I will try to save some $$ to change the clutch, everything else these guys said was a lie and there is no reason to start trusting their word now...

my dad knows I love diesel everything so he paid for my first truck up front because it was too good a deal to pass up, i still owe him some money for the purchase so some how I want to get him something out of this deal, so I put the choice on him 100% if he wants to swap and have a project for himself, or have a project with the crappy motor that has to come apart anyways...

im still fresh to the upgrades of the pumps, can you turn up the stock one?

patdaly 10-19-2009 09:11 AM

Lots............after you get gauges.