3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ride difference between DRW and SRW?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 07:55 PM
jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ride difference between DRW and SRW?

Has anyone test driven both the SRW and DRW 3500? Ride or handling difference?? I don't know which I want to buy. Don't pull heavy stuff, but I love the looks of the doolie. Any of you guys buy a doolie just for looks??<br><br>jet
Old 11-14-2002, 10:46 PM

Re:Ride difference between DRW and SRW?

Some of us don't want a doolie for one reason. Parking can be a problem. There are no parking places wide enough for a doolie. You can park them on most streets as they stick out into traffic lanes. Diagonal parking is out as places are too narrow, Meter Maid may ticket your doolie for not being properly parked. You must drive constantly watching rear fenders. Where I live there are many paved roads without centerline that are only 16' wide. Doolies are disliked by other drivers meeting them.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:06 AM

Yeah Phil - I didn't want a dually until last summer. I have an old '89 SWD and tow a heavy race car trailer over the Sierras all summer long, towing from Carson City to Marysville, Placerville, Chico, etc. I drive over in the daytime, but back at night, and some of those roads are pretty dark and lonely. My friend has a '98 dually. I used it to tow both of our cars to Medford last summer. The big thing he felt about it was that there was an added safety factor if you have a blow-out on a rear tire with a SWD while towing a heavy trailer -- especially over those dark, windy roads at night -- so -- when I decided to move up to the '03 I decided to go with the dually - in spite of all the problems you've mentioned. Good luck with your new one - mine's still in Benicia as far as I know.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:42 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had my dually long enough and driven enough miles in town to get a good feel for it. I have parked in some really tight places. I find I try to back in most of the time - - that is much easier for me. Obviously can't do that on diagonal parking, but I have come to accept it and it doesn't really bother me. I was fearful at first, but no more. I put a class A motorhome in some places it never should have been, so this is kinda small in comparison. I don't notice a whole lot of difference between driving this and my last 2500 as far as size is concerned.<br><br>I have not riden or driven a SRW 3500 so I can't compare the ride. I can't imagine it would ride any smoother due to the GVWR. I has to be beefy to handle the weight. You know it when you hit bumps running across the road so that it takes on both wheels. Single wheel hit is not bad at all considering what is back there.<br><br>Bob
Old 11-15-2002, 10:41 PM

They just look weird to me.<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-16-2002, 09:41 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=Hunter link=board=17;threadid=7050;start=0#67609 date=1037421696]<br>They just look weird to me.<br><br>Hunter<br>[/quote]<br><br>[glow=red, 2, 300]ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH[/glow]<br><br>Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :<br><br>ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHBob
Old 11-16-2002, 09:32 PM
jet

Thanks guys, I'll think on it some more.