12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Clutch advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch advice needed

I am looking to replace my clutch soon. It started slipping a little last summer, and with almost 200k miles on it, I figure it's probably time.

I don't tow, I don't pull, and I don't race. The previous owner did pull a camping trailer, but I don't know how heavy it was. I bought the truck from him at 75k miles and it's been a daily driver since then.

I've only done a few minor mods, but I'm hoping someday to add a set of 50-75hp injectors and I'm hoping to install the He351ve turbo, but this will all be years from now.

So, during my research I've seen mention of a 13" clutch upgrade. But, I've seen posts saying that this is really a ripoff because our trucks already have a 13" clutch. So, what's the real story? If our trucks come with a 13" clutch, why do some places call it an upgrade, and what's the deal with the 12.25" clutches? If it is an upgrade, what's the advantage over the stock diameter?

My other question is given that I drive the truck pretty easy, do I need to replace the flywheel, or can I get by with just resurfacing the original flywheel and getting a new clutch and pressure plate? Money is tight because I've been out of work for a while, but I only want to do this job one time and do it right and not have to worry about it for a long time. I'm going to be doing a lot of other repairs this summer and the truck is going to be down for a while, so I want to get everything lined up and ready to go.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 400Magnum; 05-16-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Clarified question
Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Six speed trucks had 13" clutches, all others came with 12 1/4". A few upgrades increases torque dramatically, and if you really do end up adding a 351VE near or over 1000lb-ft of torque is not out of the question. Think of that while choosing a clutch, I made the mistake of choosing the "wrong" clutch for my driving (towing), ended up smoking a 12 1/4" full ceramic that was rated for 800 lb-ft/350 hp. Now I have a 13" kevlar/ceramic button clutch and it's been like new for almost 50k miles so far.

Best bet might be to talk with Peter (?) at south bend, I've heard he won't sell you something you don't need. Valair also makes a good product and they have been good to me.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, in all honesty, I don't know that I'll ever get that other turbo or the injectors installed. It seems that every year that passes those things get further away. I've had the turbo for five years now sitting under my workbench, and injectors just get more and more expensive, so the odds are that I'll never get around to those mods. So, I'll probably just stick with a clutch that is closely matched to what I expect my current max output could be and call that good enough. Like I said, I really don't push this truck very hard, so I don't think I need to go overkill on the clutch.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up my question about the 13" vs 12.25" flywheel. I really don't see any need for me to get a 13" especially when there are lots of 12.25" that are more than capable of doing what I need them to do.