12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

blown axel seal....again

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown axel seal....again

i have a 1995 ram. about 10,000 miles ago i replaced the drivers side rear axel seal for the second time, i just pulled off the drum the other day and found it full of differential fluid again and i can't figure out why this is happening over and over. the last time i did this i talked to a service advisor at dodge who told me the vent line might be clogged, it wasn't and still isn't but that left side keeps leaking. does anyone have any ideas??
Old 04-13-2006, 09:55 PM

Is the axle/seal surface nicked/rusty? Or is it warn down so far there is little or no contact between the two? Is your pumpkin breather plugged? This could cause it to pressure up once it's warms up and the water that may be contaminating it expands. Is the axle bent? This can cause the seal to wear excessively on one side. Do you park on a real huge side hill cause you like to fall out of your truck? (my grandfather ruined a rear engine seal in his old Benz because the driveway was was so steep. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Banned

OK hold on to your britches because this seems as 'bout as logical as mud soup but this is what was happened to a friend of mine with a 95 and the Dana 80 on a 2500. He went though 5 axle seals from various manufactures even original DC. All would start to leak from 500 to 2000 miles after install. He replaced the wheel bearings and still no help. Just when he was about to change the whole rearend sick of the trouble someone told him to check the carrier bearings that supports the ring gear and to replace the side opposite to the side that was leaking. The bearing was out of tolerance and allowing the rear to vibrate just enough to harmonically distort the seal on the opposite wheel. I told him that it sounded like horse pucky to me but what the hay he had already invested a small fortune in brakes and seals that didn't work. Replaced the carrier bearing and so far (65000 miles) no leaks. Hope this helps!!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:10 PM

Well, on mine there was enough of a groove worn in the axle that the seal wasn't getting properly seated. Bought a speedy sleeve and installed it, haven't had a problem since. For what it's worth, I didn't think that there was any way that's what it was, it was a tiny little groove.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 AM

Here is a few tips for you, may or may not help

If it is a groove in the axle causing the problem usually you can seat the seal shallow or deeper so it has a new surface on the axle to ride on. Also sometimes some emry cloth to remove the groove and any scratches in the axle helps then hit it with a polishing wheel and polishing compound on a bench grinder. Also make absolutly certain you are getting the seal in there straight, maybe make a puller of sorts with some all-thread and seal drivers or sockets that fit the seal and axle tube. Take a look at one of the front diff seal pullers here for ideas. http://www.quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Frt%2...Axle_Seal_Kits

Hope this helps...Josh
Old 04-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by waldersha
Well, on mine there was enough of a groove worn in the axle that the seal wasn't getting properly seated. Bought a speedy sleeve and installed it, haven't had a problem since. For what it's worth, I didn't think that there was any way that's what it was, it was a tiny little groove.
Ditto same problem, even after I drilled my vent out to 1/8" (everything rusts in Southeast Alaska even plastic AKA Southeast locktite) Sleaved it problem solved. Unless you have a lathe with a 10 foot bed on it sleaving is the only option once grooved too deep to polish out.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yeolde12valve
i have a 1995 ram. about 10,000 miles ago i replaced the drivers side rear axel seal for the second time, i just pulled off the drum the other day and found it full of differential fluid again and i can't figure out why this is happening over and over. the last time i did this i talked to a service advisor at dodge who told me the vent line might be clogged, it wasn't and still isn't but that left side keeps leaking. does anyone have any ideas??

Don't know if you've thought about this but, how full are you filling the axle?
It should be 0.75" + or - 0.25" BELOW the fill hole. This will cause wheel seals to leak until it gets to the proper level. "Fill to the bottom of the fill hole" IS NOT the proper level.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:34 PM

I have a question, where can I get a seal driver at?
Been looking for one, and cant find it.
Thanks,
Wheelo
Old 04-22-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelo90
I have a question, where can I get a seal driver at?
Been looking for one, and cant find it.
Thanks,
Wheelo
Auto parts sell them. Or you can take your seal to a place that sells plumbing and buy a pvc coupling that is the same size as the outside diameter of the seal.

I always coat the outside of a new seal with RTV to prevent leakage around the outside.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:58 PM

Thanks fella, on the last one, I used a Landscape timber. let me say not very pretty sight. O- well live and learn. I will probably go with the peice of pipe idea.
Wheelo