12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Auto Tranny Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto Tranny Upgrades

Hey guys,

I have been diligently reading every post I can find on this site to guide me in the process of beefing up my automatic transmission in my 1998 12v Cummins 4x4. Right now all I have done to the truck is put a 4" exhaust and a #10 plate in it and it really has enough power for me. The only other thing I might try is sliding the plate all the way forward. BUT, my torque converter will not hold the power. With the empty truck if you really get into it, even with the converter locked up, the converter will slip just like it were not locked. With even a small load (not over 3000 lbs.) the converter does not hold well at all. So, from what I have read on here, this is what I need: a good triple disk converter (which I have located one) and a performance valve body. I really do not intend to pull excessively heavy loads and I do not intend to drag race but I want to be able to pull 10,000 lbs without having to worry about toasting my tranny. I will not pull that weight very often but I want to do this right if I am gonna spend the time and money to beef up the transmission. So, my question for you more experienced heads out there is this: Will the torque converter and valve body be enough for my application? If so, I am in Livingston, Tennessee, anyone know of a reputable tranny shop within 100 miles or so that I could get the work done for a reasonable price? Any advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 AM

The stock converter clutch has more than enough surface area to hold your power level. It does not hold because of internal leaks. Get those attended to and everything in the trans lasts longer too.
Try these peopledieseltrans.com DTT knows these trans!!
You don't need the harsh lock-up from a 3 disc converter. You need better fluid coupling, and a better Valvebody.
Do it once/ do it right.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If all you are going to do is a V/B and torque converter I would do it myself. I just finished up rebuilding the whole trans myself, it is a great learning experience and you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I had no experience rebuilding auto's and it turned out fine. The V/B drops right out when the pan is removed, the TQ converter is a little more difficult but with a good trans jack it should be pretty easy.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:52 AM

You sound exactly like where I was not too long ago. I do pull heavy at times and wanted a bulletproof trans without going to the $$ for billet shafts. A good valvebody, high friction clutches, and a triple disc will work wonders. Despite what the previous poster said about harsh lockup on a triple disc I will tell you that my Goerend triple locks up no harder than a typical good firm shift. Yes you can feel it but it does not rattle the truck. Made my truck much more drivable. Not cheap but worth the money IMO.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:47 AM

www.goerend.com

They make great stuff. For what you want, a good converter, and valve body will last you a long time. The lockup of my converter is fast and smooth, but not harsh. I love it, and it is so much better than stock that you wont know what to do the first time you drive it with a good converter.

Eric
Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks guys, I think I am just gonna "bite the bullet" so to speak and buy a good triple disk converter. I have found a tranny shop in my area that will build my valve body and he is supposed to be the best around here. He built a tranny for my uncle who later traded the truck to a dairy farmer and held up to daily pulling. I talked to the guy on the phone and he knows his stuff. When I told him what I was wanting (exactly what I posted on here) the first thing he said was to get a good converter and either let him build the valve body or get a performance one already built. If he does all the labor, it would come out cheaper in the end. So, here is what I am thinking, get the triple disk and have the guy build my valve body and hope for the best. I have heard great stuff about Goerend but I think I can come out with basically the same setup as the Goerend with less money if I go this route. Opinions??
Old 10-26-2007, 11:28 PM

Well usually a shift kit will accent or help a valve body rebuild. If the tranny is already going to be dropped than see how much extra it will be for a shift kit as well.

Get a aux trans cooler, I'm sure he suggested that but if not the one I am having installed is the best I could find for a great deal. Derale makes it and the model number is 15950 Mine came with all hoses, fittings, t stat, rad w/fan. The only thing I needed was a compression fitting to fix a line that had already died on my truck so we just stuck it in there. If your tc ever burns your oil or gets it hot then the aux cooler will help and you get an extra 2 quarts of atf in the system with the cooler added.

just my 2 pennies...
-Jered