12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

97 F800 with 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I meant f-800 sorry. I have not misunderstood you at all. Minor mods make big heat when your pulling heavy weights all the time. Im not saying that sliding the plate forward has killed it, but swapping plates might very well make her run too hot on the pyro.

I had a few minor mods done to my truck, basically a turned up pump, exhaust and intake mods. When I ran 26-28k daily even on slight hills, it was too much, and I had to turn her back down. There is a lot of difference, even when you figure things like wind. your truck is a lot wider and taller than a pickup. Those things matter. I would wait for that pyro before doing anything else.

Have you done anything with the air filter to allow more air in? Your exhaust shouldnt be as restricted as a pickups, but check for any blockage, etc.

I know your only looking for small gains, and that pyro will tell you how many small gains you can do. However for ever person such as yourself who wants to turn up a TOWING truck, there are a few who have hammered out headgaskets, melted pistons, etc from doing so.

Be carefull, and goodluck!!

BTW, my dad ran dirt late models for years up in Tennessee, around the Bulls Gap/Atomic areas.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by csramsey640

BTW, my dad ran dirt late models for years up in Tennessee, around the Bulls Gap/Atomic areas.
Cool, what was his name? My engines come from Knoxville and my cars come from Johnson City

I understand what your saying and thanks...Dad is in the trucking biz, and I know a little about the bigger engines. Man I wished these manufacturers would put the silly gauges in these units at the time of build, like KW, Peterbuilt and the rest do on the large trucks. Heck the temps. or more crucial you would think on these smaller units anyways..Thanks again and I will let the pyro tell the story.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:18 PM

Best power-up would be the 8.3, with associated 5.9 mods, IMO.

All else is similar - bell-housing bolt patterns, mounts, fuel plates, everything.

Same pump-ups for 750ftlbs in a 5.9 will getcha 1200ftlbs in an 8.3

Check with tstdotcom for further info