12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

95, real slow, no power, help me out here

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 95, real slow, no power, help me out here

well today i went and looked at a 95 12v 4x4, auto, with 166k on it. nice looking truck.COMPLETLY STOCK!!!

when i drove this truck it was a dog. real slow. no boost at all.the turbo isnt spooling. and is realy slow. trannys slipping some from 3rd to OD.

well this is what has been done to the the truck in the last couple weeks sence the dealer got it. because " somthing wasnt right "

injectors tested, and re-set.
I/P went through, found nothing rong.
fuel filter changed
lift pump checked
fuel lines checked
tank checked, and found a good amount of water. new breaks all the way around, and front rotors.
4 new tires

well after all this the truck ran better than it did when the dealer bought it.
the dealer dosent know enough about the cummins to relise it still got a problem untill i told him. i even took him in a ride in the 1st gen and told him that the 95 should run better. he really wants to fix this truck before he sales it to me. if not i am going to buy it as is, for a lot cheaper than the asking price. i just want to figure out whats rong first

i checked if it was getting air, it is.
couldnt find any boost leakes.
it dosent smoke at all. so i am guessing this is a lack of fuel some where.
who ever had this before has had the turbo off, it has real new gaskets, abd bolts.
ANY IDEAS? i can get this truck pritty cheap, but i want to know whats going on with it first. he really dosnt want to sell it to me "as is". but either way, if he pays to get it fixed, its not going to affect the price.

does any one have any ideas?

thanks bob.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:27 PM

all stock cummins are dogs, just kiddin, i'm just used to the bombs on em. just because you have no boost, doesn't mean that there would be smoke. the afc housing is in control of fueling, air fuel control. no air, no fuel. the place where most boost leaks are found are on the intercooler boots, check all of the clamps on the air charge side. the intercool boots and the intake manifold, make sure they are very tight. the only way you can really tell if the intercooler boots are bad is to manually pressurize the system, and check for tears(or have your hood open going 60, hit cruisecontrol, climb around and check for yourself ) Trying to check if air is getting into the system can be a paint, you can spend more time checking, than it would take to replace the fuel line, which i recommend doing, they can suck in air, and not let any fuel out. is the truck hard to start, generally when air is introduced to the fuel system the engine will be a pain to start. if he is willing to fix without changing the price, have him replace the fuel lines and the intercooler boots. this is a start.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:01 PM

checked.

already checked the intercooler boots real good. they look brand new.
i couldnt find any leaks any where.

starts up fine, idels great, dosent cut out at all when giving it fuel in park.

there is no throttle responce at all. the turbo has no spool. even took the hose off to the filter box. but didnt make a diffrence.

he told me that his mechanic took off the exhaust before the muffler, and didnt do any thing. but that was before he had another shop go threw the complete fuel system?

its either fuel, or air. but with out air, and plenty of fuel wont it smoke some? witch it dosnt at all.
i want to help get this pointed in the right direction on getting fixed. but i dont know how good this mechanic really is?

marine4life,
can the AFC be set back on a p-pump. to to realy cut off the air? i am have never worked on one, just the VE pumps .this truck runs about as fast as an old VW bus up a hill.

thanks Bob.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:26 PM

is it still the stock turbo? or could it have such a big turbo on it that it just doesn't have enough fuel to spool it
Old 03-29-2006, 06:35 PM

turbo

it looks like the stock hx35 with the 12/w nothin fancy on this truck, just clean.
also there wasnt any play in the impeller shaft when i checked it. but heck, my H1C/18 spools up a lot more than this truck dose.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If the catalytic converter has the same miles as the rest of the truck then it is likely plugged up not allowing the engine to breathe.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:06 PM

Is the tamper proof screw still in the afc? Sounds like the govorner arm is under the plate maybe the previous owner had a fuel plate in it and took it out to sell the truck and did not check to see where lever was hitting the plate and it is going under it and not allowing it to get fuel.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by boughtadodge
Is the tamper proof screw still in the afc? Sounds like the govorner arm is under the plate maybe the previous owner had a fuel plate in it and took it out to sell the truck and did not check to see where lever was hitting the plate and it is going under it and not allowing it to get fuel.
If the arm goes under it will get more fuel, it will be like not having a plate.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by boughtadodge
boughtadodge,

the pump has been off,and gone through by the dealers mechanic. dealer has $1800. in shop bills on this thing so far.
but the govorner arm sounds like a posability!
also the pluged cat.
i dont think the mechanic he's taking his cars and trucks too knows what hes doing with the cummins. when he took the pump apart, he probably put it back togetherthe way it cam apart.

any other ideas before i call him tomorrow.

thanks, Bob.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 95 with the auto and 160hp pump is a real slug in stock trim. I would never get over 12psi boost and 800F EGT until I did some mods.
My mileage is awful, like 10mpg. Partly because of the 4.10s, the really awful stock torque convertor and the pump and injectors.
Ive seen reman 215hp pumps for 900$ as well as 300hp ones from BD power at 1500. One of those might be on my list soon.
The cam plate and the GSK mods are pretty much necessary on the 160hp pump.. its a dog.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by kawi600
The 95 with the auto and 160hp pump is a real slug in stock trim. I would never get over 12psi boost and 800F EGT until I did some mods.
My mileage is awful, like 10mpg. Partly because of the 4.10s, the really awful stock torque convertor and the pump and injectors.
well i have a first gen with mild mods, and an auto and it screems compared to this 95. so i think it somthing more than just a stock issue.
i have rode in a stock 95 with a 5 speed and it was a world of diffreince than this one.

i am pritty sure its a air or fuel issue. or bolth
any more ideas fellas.
thanks, Bob

Bill, how did your 95 auto run when you got it?
any more ideas if its not the cat or muf.
thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 08:04 PM

Severaly slipped timing.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:07 PM

timming

if it was the timing, it wouldnt idle so well would it? it sounds real good. no missing or skipping. just no power. i mean no turbo spool what so ever!

thanks bob
Old 03-29-2006, 08:08 PM

I've seen some that didn't idle to bad with slipped timing. How does it rev, very smooth or real ruf, whats max obtainable RPM.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Is the wategate stuck open. Just another idea.

Quick Reply: 95, real slow, no power, help me out here