12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

1994 Auto...learn me something

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 Auto...learn me something

Never had an auto CTD before...I feel weird about it, but I don't do any heavy towing and I'm not one to excessively modify my diesels.

I just bought a '94 2500 CTD Auto with 120k. 1-owner, Bone stock, and very, very clean.

I've got a set of gauges on the way...Boost/EGT/Trans.

The trans shifts fine, but I'm not used to the measly 160hp since I just sold a '97 5-spd with fuel plate, stack, BHAF, and the 215hp pump!

The trans fluid is very clean and I'm confident the trans is in good shape, but I'm always leary about AT's and have always had MT's in the majority of my vehicles.

Can this trans handle a stock HX35 turbo to replace the WH1C, BHAF, Straight Pipe, stock fuel plate slid forward, and a few clicks on the starwheel or am I pushing the limits?

What preventative maintenance mods can I do on the transmission to beef it up without breaking the bank?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The stock auto won't take much more than stock power.
If you drive like grandpa the tranny will last but then what good will turning up the power do if you don't use it?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran a #8 plate full forward for a couple years with my stock auto, I had no problems. I even bagged on it a bit.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could go either way, some have been lucky some have been unlucky, but the stock auto is limited.
A shift kit will go a long way to helping hold those simple mods - straight pipe and bhaf add minimal to the strain until you add fuel.

Change the fluid/filter and adjust the bands, that's all the maintenance you can do to the AT, but I would consider a shift kit which is pretty easy to do yourself since it's just the VB in the AT.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Raising the PR valve pressure from stock 50 pounds to at least 80 will help alot. I second the Transgo TFOD Diesel kit. It will show you how to set the pressure. You need to adjust the bands too. Put new fluid and filter in as well. Check to see if the converter lock up clutch is slipping or shuttering before you drop the pan (stomp it on a steep hill going 50 with the converter locked and watch the tach).
Old 03-08-2010, 11:56 PM

Well, I drove the truck about 50 miles tonight, 45 or so on the highway. Seems to be hunting for OD pretty much the whole time. It shifts through the gears firm & tight, but at 65mph, even on a flat stretch of road, I see the tachometer bump up about 100rpm, then back...and it just repeats that the whole time. I'm real skeptical about automatics, and I'm starting to get buyers remorse already. I have a sick feeling in my gut that I spent all my money on something that will only require more money than I have.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The "hunting" you mention is the torque converter constantly going in and out of lockup while you're cruising speed. It's an electrical 'dirty signal' in the PCM harness.
The fix is easy and cheap, I put one of the noise filter capacitors from DTT in my '95 back around 03/04, and never had a hunting issue since. I've since put them in all my buddies' trucks that complained of lockup.

My '95 has the same 47RH yours has. Mine had 112K when I bought it in '01. I timed it, bumped the plate forward, and installed a set of take-out 180hp inj from a 96 truck. On the dyno the rig made 185hp, and was happy for several years until I decided it was time to put a built trans in it.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 AM

MikeR. Can you give more detail on the noise filter capacitor install? I was on the DTT website (hope it the same one dieseltrans.com?) and couldn't find anything relating to a noise filter capacitor. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes it's dieseltrans.com
The only place it's listed in on the price list page, it's called the Noise Filter.

It's a simple capacitor with two wires you tap onto the TPS harness at the PCM, and you mount the little box near there.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:05 AM

Thanks Mike, I'll look into it.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For the hunting problem start here, most times you'll need a new TPS available at the auto parts store.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio...TPS_adjust.htm
Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Last night after I read MikeR's reply, I did some more reading on the 47RH's and saw the issue about the Throttle Position Sensors. I went out and pulled the TPS and cleaned the electrical terminals in the plug & TPS, reinstalled it, but it was almost 2am so I didn't take it for a test drive. I drove to work this morning 30 miles at 70mph and it stayed in OD the whole time with not even a hint of shudder, even with the cruise control set and up a few slight grades, same goes for my drive back home. Makes me feel alot better about my purchase.

MikeR, thanks for your suggestion, I'll probably be purchasing one of those filters, or making my own from a electrolytic capacitor.

Infidel, thanks for the link. I found it last night and it's what prompted me to run out in my underwear and clean the TPS!