Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Taking out lifting blocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking out lifting blocks

I want to take the blocks out of the back. I dont like the way the truck sits. I have already put a leveling kit on it and its better but its still raked cause the previous owner had a 4 inch block only on the rear for some reason. I think she towed a horse trailer or something. Any ways, how hard are they to remove. I work in an aiplane shop so I have access to tools. Is it an easy job that can be done in the parking lot or is it more involved? Truck has 35s but they look like lawnmower wheels cause it sits so high in the back.
Thanks for the help, coop
Old 10-04-2009, 11:09 PM

Its pretty easy, you might have to cut the ubolts as they rust up fairly fast. You may have to buy shorter u bolts anyhow depending on how far the threads go up. I would just get some new ubolts, you can get them made at any spring shop fairly cheaply. Then all you have to do is unbolt the ubolts, lift the truck up by the frame untill the spring is fully unloaded and pull up off the axle or lift block. Then pull the block out lower the truck back down makeing sure the centering pin on the spring algins with the hole on the axle. Then loosly tighten the ubolt, do the same to the other side then tighten all the bolts. don't forget to recheck the ubolts a few times after you get some miles on them. you may have to undo the shocksto lift the springs off the axle. On a 2001 truck you will have a factory lift block. can't remember how tall it is but they all have them.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 PM

Factory lift block is about 4". If it's higher in the back after you did a level kit there might be an add-a-leaf on the back.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 PM

I will try and post a pic tomorow. Cause ya I thougt that the setup looked stock. There is a 4 inch block below the springs. But then there is a one inch block between the very top leaf and the reast. I was thinking that the 1' was stock and the 4 inch after market but I gues not. Is the one inch block also OEM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:15 PM

The 4 or so with the bump stop bracket that sticks inward is the factory block. If you remove this your shocks will probably be too long. The 1 inch block must be aftermarket
Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the stock 4 3/4" out, left the 1" top spring spacer in and installed 2" from eBay and had new u-bolts made at the local spring shop.

Name:  Truck2.jpg
Views: 3788
Size:  17.6 KB
Old 10-06-2009, 02:06 PM

the stock has the 4"ish block the space plate is aftermarket. to rid of the big block I would suggest to get springs that are made for the lift your looking for. they would be better than your stock and also help with axle wrap. doing any of these mods new u-bolts. also do you have or do you want airbags on your truck?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:02 PM

If the 4" block has an 'arm' for the bumpstop, then it is OEM. If not, it would be aftermarket. The 1" block on top is just a spacer for the overloads, which again is factory.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:23 PM

cool to know didnt know the spacer was a factory option. is that for the camper package?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Clunk
I took the stock 4 3/4" out, left the 1" top spring spacer in and installed 2" from eBay and had new u-bolts made at the local spring shop.

Now that's what I'm looking for.

Going to have to go check out eBay and find those blocks. Do you remember which vendor they were from?

As for going with a smaller block, does anyone seen any reason it would cause any issues with adding air bags?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
If the 4" block has an 'arm' for the bumpstop, then it is OEM. If not, it would be aftermarket. The 1" block on top is just a spacer for the overloads, which again is factory.

Yup, mine had/have the bumpstop. The 2" do too....they were off a F250.
I have the stock pieces w/u-bolts in case I have to haul something heavy.
Mine has some kind of option that includes the flip-flop gooseball and a handle inside the driverside rear fender that releases the gooseball.

As far as the shocks...I have a neighbor with one similiar to mine and I've seen him haul heavy enough to nearly drag the bumper without bottoming the shocks.
I guess you could take off the bottom shock connection and push it up to see how much travel it has at the top.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:49 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
Now that's what I'm looking for.

Going to have to go check out eBay and find those blocks. Do you remember which vendor they were from?

As for going with a smaller block, does anyone seen any reason it would cause any issues with adding air bags?

I don't know how many of those 17 rolls of hay you'd have to take off if you take any blocks out That's a good picture.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Clunk
I don't know how many of those 17 rolls of hay you'd have to take off if you take any blocks out That's a good picture.
Thanks! That was a bit of a load.

The trailer is usually enough to bring it back to level, just wish I could get it to sit level all of the time. I figured by now it would start getting worn in and sit lower in the back, but still not doing it.