Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Water Leak In Slab

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Water Leak In Slab

Recently repaired a water leak in my slab. Was hot water line so I was able to find location in floor. Now I have a cold water line leaking and cannot find location. Does anyone have any idea of how to locate this leak before water starts coming up into house? I know call a plumber, not an option right now I'm out of work. Has anyone used a geophone and air pressure to fine water leaks?
Attached Thumbnails Water Leak In Slab-carnage-039.jpg  
Old 07-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I have nothing, if you know which line it is for sure, could you cap it and take it overhead?
Old 07-14-2015, 08:04 PM
Cummins Guru

I'm considering that option, I talked with plumber he said to re-pipe my home would cost $5,000. To find this small leak he said would cost me $200. If I repair myself again would only cost me for repair coupler some copper pipe and some concrete. Plumber will be here in morning I maybe going for the re-pipe house. Leak is very small at this time but that could change fast. The last leak was the size of the ball on a pen but my water bill went to $300.00 in two months.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If there is no elbows in the slab you could run a smaller pex line inside the copper if you can find the enter and exit?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
If you have soldered joints underground, plan on trouble. They always fail.

Put a district heating system in a campground once. Told them to use flare fittings underground, which is pretty expensive in the 1" and up sizes that were being put in. They put in soldered joints. 2 years later they had to dig them all up and replace them with flare fittings.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have pressure gauges on the line, air pressure after a seven ounce tube of seacaulk will find and plug a small leak. hydronics application.

with just a buried line, the sixteen dollar infrared point n shoot thermometer gun can detect a temp variance of +/- 4 degrees. put your cold water on for five to cool the concrete. a leak will have a possible colder temp due to the free flowing water outside of the line.

a really cheap way is to ask your local fire dept if they have a thermal imaging camera they want to test? good training for a new member. you can actually see the water flow as looking at a negative image of a stream. although this would only be about one inch wide.....

hope everything goes easy, minimal trouble, you sure don't need this now.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 AM
Cummins Guru

The plumbing job in this house was not done to code. The pipe I removed from under slab was not silver soldiered. I'm surprised the joints have lasted 35 years. Although the leak I found was caused by electrolysis, pin hole in the pipe. The plumber will be here this morning so I will find out where this new leak is and if it is feasible to repair or just re-pipe entire house. I'm really getting tired of jack hammering my dinning room slab to fix these leaks. Some plumbers use air and geophone to locate leaks, I guess the air rushing out from leak is much noisier then water. I just hope the air pressure doesn't cause more leaks or make this leak worse then it already is. Thanks to everyone for the replies, I was considering Justwannabeme idea of using seacaulk, but was afraid of it getting into washer and faucets causing more problems, and it would only be temporary fix.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:00 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Once these leaks start under the slab, forget it - - replumb. Our house was only 2 years old when the first one occurred. Found the leak, opened it up, but heading out on a 3 month vacation - - turned the water off and waited for return. Repaired it when got home. Before I even filled in the concrete I heard another one at the other end of the house. That was it - - repiped overhead with CPVC - - ouch - -$9000. Be sure they insulate both cold and hot lines in the attic and don't let them skimp on pipe size.
Bob
Old 07-15-2015, 02:13 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best of luck, to you, guru! thought some light hearted brevity would cheer you up...you may need that.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Cummins Guru

That's what I'm thinking Bob, I didn't even get a chance to put tile back down when another leak started under slab in bathroom. Happen when we were on vacation also, I turned on shower and water came out black for a second. Tell tale sign water pipe broke again under slab, then constant sound of water running. Another pin hole leak since water meter is barely moving, but tile in bathroom was already coming loose and found water under the tile. Plumber hit me with $200 bill just to listen for leak, ouch, then a est. for $5,000 to re-pipe and that's if I open all the walls and he just runs the pipe. Too pricey for me right now. Allstate does NOT cover plumbing leaks under slab but they cover water damage, go figure. AAA does cover pluming leaks and repairs. I will be changing my insurance company real soon for my car and house.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Cummins Guru

Everyone needs cheering up these days for sure. Now to go back to finding this darn water leak. Lucky I still have plenty of pipe, quick set and tiles.