3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Wondering if it's my shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering if it's my shocks

So i have a 2006 Dodge with the Cummins and have had it since new, has about 70k miles on it. I tow my medium size camper a few times every summer, used to tow more, but not as much anymore. So this summer I've notices it bounces around more going down the road at highway speed when towing. The rougher the road the worse it is. Kind of like rocking in a boat, but front to back not side to side, well kinda side to side too. What comes to mind is the shocks aren't doing their job by dampening the springs quite as good as they used to. Sound reasonable??

Kind of thinking it's the fronts, but not sure of course. Just seems like the nose does all the diving and bouncing. Is it okay to only replace fronts or are you supposed to replace all 4?

If so, wondering what is a good somewhat budget shock. I'm interested in factory quality, not high end and not low end. Truck is all factory (no lift) I just want it to ride the same as it used to, so not interested in a firmer shock, guessing the Bilsteins are firmer for the lifted and 4x4 guys??

Anyone have any input for me. Thanks hopefully.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:01 PM

I should add that I've been looking at Rock Auto and seems like they have quite a few brands as well as different types, Economy, Original Ride Quality, Heavy Duty, and Increased Handling/Performance. Original Ride Quality seems like what I'm after, Brands I see are KYB, Gabriel, Sachs, Mopar and Bilstien. Only ones I've heard of oar Mopar and Bilstien, anyone have experience with the others?

Thanks again,
Old 09-27-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The Bilsteins for stock height work well.
My stock shocks came out the first week I owned it. I loaded up my 1800# popup and the truck was all over the road and bottomed out constantly.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:27 PM

+1 for Bilsteins
Old 09-28-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
+2 bilsteins!
Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+3 Bilsteins
Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Bilsteins will always get a vote. Rancho 9000's have done well for me for a long time. Either way, you cant install cheap shocks on these trucks simply because the engine weighs over 1000 lbs and will cause most shocks to fail in short time. Then add a camper on there and you're doing the same to the rear shocks as well.
Look into support items called Timbren. They may help you with added support to hold that camper and help the rear shocks as well.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:51 PM

Thanks guys for the info. Sorry I don't get on here much, I knew I had posted this, but you know life gets in the way of things. Bilsteins sound like the consensus. My camper is a smallish tow trailer only adds about 2-300 lbs of tongue weight if I remember, but it is about 4000lbs when full. Now I guess I need to figure out which Bilsteins make the most sense.

Was just figuring since my stock shocks have been working and feeling fine for so long that one of those other brand "oem type" shocks might have done the same job. One thing I don't want is more stiff. I have Rancho 9000s on my other vehicle and I have to go to the lightest settings to make it ride soft enough. I suppose with the weight of these trucks I wouldn't have to worry about that if I went with the Rancho's.

Can you guys tell me which category of shocks (from Rock Auto) I should buy from for factory type (non-harsher) ride?

-Economy (no Bilsteins here)

-Heavy Duty (this is where all the Bilstein options are, would heavy duty mean more stiff?)

-Original Ride Quality (only Front Bilsteins here and they are reservoir type, overkill for my needs)
Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:53 PM

Well I ended up going with the Rancho 9ks. Figured they had been great on my Jeep for 12 years, might as well see how they do on the truck. Now just have to find a little time to install them.