Brake question - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums



Brake question

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 18
Brake question

I have a 1998 3500 cab and chassis. I'm wanting to do a complete overhaul on the brakes. Front pads, shoes, hardware kit and new wheel cylinders. I was leaning towards Bendix for my shoes but it doesn't look like they make pads for the front. So if there's another quality brand that sells both shoes and pads, I'd rather go that route and get them from the same place. Just wondering what are some suggested brands and where y'all buy them from. Also, I've seen different size shoes. I think an 11 inch, 13 inch x 2.5 and 13x3.5. How can I tell which size is correct for my application? Thanks.
Twinky_Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
Registered User
 
johnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: lyman, utah
Posts: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinky_Bomb View Post
I have a 1998 3500 cab and chassis. I'm wanting to do a complete overhaul on the brakes. Front pads, shoes, hardware kit and new wheel cylinders. I was leaning towards Bendix for my shoes but it doesn't look like they make pads for the front. So if there's another quality brand that sells both shoes and pads, I'd rather go that route and get them from the same place. Just wondering what are some suggested brands and where y'all buy them from. Also, I've seen different size shoes. I think an 11 inch, 13 inch x 2.5 and 13x3.5. How can I tell which size is correct for my application? Thanks.
....remove rear wheel and drum and measure old shoes
98 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 Brake Pad Set - Brake - AC Delco, Akebono, Bendix, Bosch, Centric, EBC, Hawk, Monroe, Performance Friction, Power Stop, Top Stop, Wagner, Front - PartsGeek
johnh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Streator Illinois
Posts: 8,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinky_Bomb View Post
I have a 1998 3500 cab and chassis. I'm wanting to do a complete overhaul on the brakes. Front pads, shoes, hardware kit and new wheel cylinders. I was leaning towards Bendix for my shoes but it doesn't look like they make pads for the front. So if there's another quality brand that sells both shoes and pads, I'd rather go that route and get them from the same place. Just wondering what are some suggested brands and where y'all buy them from. Also, I've seen different size shoes. I think an 11 inch, 13 inch x 2.5 and 13x3.5. How can I tell which size is correct for my application? Thanks.
I find all kinds of options for Bendix for your truck on the front pads, where are you looking?

I went to Rock Auto.

I like Raybestos, they are a good quality old line product like Bendix.

As for your brakes, if your truck still has the sticker under the hood, the brakes should be noted, being a C&C, I would almost bet they are the 13X3.5
patdaly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Registered User
 
u2slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC
Posts: 473
With my 94-95 Dana 70/80 axles (all diesel), I found the SRW has the 13" narrow shoes, and the DRW has the 13" wide shoes. I suspect the C&C DRW uses the wide shoes too.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
Registered User
 
KATOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The "real" Northern CA
Posts: 3,817
Here's a chart showing the brake sizes per model year. Dodge Ram Brake Specifications BUT.....that doesnt mean you shouldn't remove yours first and measure to be assured you're not buying the wrong parts.

And I dont use the "better stopping" brake parts either. I dont think there's anything wrong with OEM quality as long as your brakes are all working correctly. The better stopping aftermarket parts are usually more abusive to the rotors/drums as they use more friction to do the same job. And they wear out faster too.
KATOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by patdaly View Post
I find all kinds of options for Bendix for your truck on the front pads, where are you looking?

I went to Rock Auto.

I like Raybestos, they are a good quality old line product like Bendix.

As for your brakes, if your truck still has the sticker under the hood, the brakes should be noted, being a C&C, I would almost bet they are the 13X3.5
I was looking there too, guess I missed it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
Here's a chart showing the brake sizes per model year. Dodge Ram Brake Specifications BUT.....that doesnt mean you shouldn't remove yours first and measure to be assured you're not buying the wrong parts.

And I dont use the "better stopping" brake parts either. I dont think there's anything wrong with OEM quality as long as your brakes are all working correctly. The better stopping aftermarket parts are usually more abusive to the rotors/drums as they use more friction to do the same job. And they wear out faster too.
Well really I'd like to get OEM shoes/pads and hardware kits/wheel cylinders from Dodge but from the looks of it Dodge isn't making them anymore? Maybe I'm wrong so please correct me if I am. That's why I was leaning towards Bendix shoes and front pads and just getting wheel cylinders and hardware kits from Autozone or somewhere similar.
Twinky_Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Registered User
 
KATOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The "real" Northern CA
Posts: 3,817
I didnt mean I only buy only "OEM" parts but merely saying that I'm not an advocate of brake parts which increase the friction on the rotors because all that does is cause things to wear out much faster while building more heat. Then things like rotors and drums simply wear out faster. So when replacing brake parts I tend to lean towards the OEM quality parts. Although I'm not unhappy with my trucks brakes.....
KATOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Banks Brake / Exhaust Brake question coalburner400 Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only 3 08-01-2006 07:37 PM
Engine brake / Exhaust brake 2500TurboDodge Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only 2 06-28-2005 10:52 PM
02 disk brake axles brake system into a 1998 12v truck ddestruel Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only 3 04-06-2005 12:26 PM
Pac Brake-or-Jake Brake?? wvcowhauler 3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) 13 04-04-2005 12:39 AM
Exhaust brake, without the brake?? guyssets 24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain 0 05-25-2004 11:55 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Copyright 2011, DieselTruckResource.Com