24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What does code p1698 mean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does code p1698 mean?

no CCD\J1850 message from TCM\PCM any clues?

thanks, dieselfan
Old 07-26-2006, 07:40 PM

Hmmm... If I recall that one came from removing the gauge cluster - I think. I had a no bus issue and while trubleshooting I think I caused the 1698.

Did you search around?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Coalburner 400 , I also have a no bus issue sometimes. I didn't take my dash apart or anything like that. My ABS light ,airbag, fuel light also come on and off at random. I searched a little , but nothing helpful. What did you do to fix yours?
thanks dieselfan
Old 07-28-2006, 07:28 AM

Yea, that one's a pain.

I think your issue may be different then mine. I ended up spending 2 hours playing around with every terminal connection. I then tried to induce some type of normal error (brake light, PCM, TCM, etc etc). Without any luck I checked the DTR site:
I found that the most common cause was a faulty speed sensor, but mine was fine (tested it by unplugging). I finally got it narrowed down to somewhere in the ABS by unplugging the module. I do not have an ABS scanner so I had the dealer check the ABS for codes for me. I told them it was either a tone ring, front speed sensor, or ABS module. They replaced the ABS module under warranty because it turned out to be bad.

Back to your issue:
If I remember right: I caused a 1698 when I was troubleshooting. I had pulled the gauge cluster out to see if there was a bad contact. There are 2 contacts on either side and a green cable that controls the PDNR indicator. The green wire will prevent you from getting the cluster out very far. You will also need a torx screw driver to get the trim piece off of the column before you remove the 4 cluster screws. The bezel which is the black piece surrounding the entire thing was only held on by clips on mine. I think some older models had 1 screw by the cig lighter, but the bezel will have to be removed before you do anything.
Anyhow, you might want to check the in cab modules and connections too. There is a terminal on the column, a couple on the sides. There is a big trunk that comes in through the firewall as well. As I said though, I came across the error when goof'n with the cluster.
Some searching will show the cluster issue to be a problem too. Try cleaning cluster terminals up and putting it back in. Drive around without putting everything else back together to see if the nobus comes back. If it does, some have used a piece of cardboard to shim the cluster in so it makes a tighter connection on the back. ( think of the pocket where the cluster goes in as a socket. There are no plugs per se.)
I hope this helps you. I'll check in on you to how you're doing. You might want to do another search or get a second opinion to make sure, but the way I got that was from removing the cluster and setting the ignition to the on position. When you do your search, do it on "NO BUS".
Old 07-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Thanks alot I'm gonna search right now. I've already replaced the rear ABS sensor and the plug to it. This didn't help. Thanks again
dieselfan