24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

The "HIDDEN" VP44 killer...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sluggo, plastic tank, empty as far as possible to remove weight. Not all that big a deal, but..... If you have the means it is easier to lift the bed. Which ever way unhook the filler tube and vent at the filler end. Push in the fuel lines to be able to squeeze the clips that release the fittings. be sure you know what to do to undo the electrical plug because you can't see it. That's why I like to lift the bed. You have to undo the plug and lines before the tank will drop far enough to see well. But I'm sure you will find crud in the strainer even if the tank appears clean to the eye.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 PM

yay, kinda...

got the tank out. the front strap required removing a couple of the carrier bolts, major pain!
I think I kinked the draw line right behind the "quick connect" not sure if that will be a problem or not...

The tank does appear spotless. The "canister" seemed pretty clean too. It's a very strange bird that seems to be two parts spring loaded together somehow. Perhaps that is how it stays planted on the bottom of the tank.

I was able to take the double screen bottom piece off. The bottom "screen" is intact but I don't see any goop on it. It's so fine I can't tell if it's cloggeg up or not. The upper screen is torn, and I do see some "dust" around the edge.

The bottom Puck (for lack of a better word) has little port like things that are spring loaded. If I remove the torn screen, the little port things will have to go.
Are they crucial parts?

on the top there is a little rubber cap clamped on to something. The rubber is old, dried and cracking. Is it a key piece?

There is also a port that is just there with nothing hooked to it and it's very dirty. Any idea what it does?

Finally, my thought is to just remove the upper screen and the weird ports... And put an inline filter right before the lift pump.

I'm a little bummed because I was hoping to find the "smoking gun" that would explain my pressure fluctuations, but I didn't find anything glaring...
Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Tank Drop

Let us know how you come out, I'm about to do the same thing but I will be modifying the canister to accept the AirDog hookup. I plan on using a motorcycle lift and some 2 x 4's. I'm not looking forward to it either but it cost so much to take it to a shop and in my area you have Larry, Moe and Curley working in them. That sounds rude but it's true, I even change my own oil to make sure I don't loose an engine due to loose oil plug.

Good luck and clean out that tank before you re-install.

Danny
Originally Posted by sluggo42
gotcha..
I was wondering...
I'm a little apprehensive about dropping the tank for some reason, mostly because I have no idea what I'll need to unhook, unclip, hidden tricks and so on. I also have no idea if I'll need any gaskets or anything. There really isn't much info in here about what to expect when dropping the tank. I have heard that it will be easy, and on the other hand I hear that there are some tricky things to unclip in order to get it down.

I have my fuel level down to 1/8th of a tank, I'm hoping that I will be able to handle that.

Is the tank made out of plastic?
Do I need a floor jack?
Should I spray down with rust-buster penetrating fluid overnight first?
Do I remove the filler hose at the tank or up at the nozzel end?
Should I try to get the tank completely empty first somehow?

Or, should I just go for it?
hehe...

thanks guys
Old 09-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
or just have 3 buddies come out and help you lift it off onto some horse saw stands.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've dropped my tank 2x and the inside has been clean both times. I have just under 300,000 miles on it and I am on my 3rd pump (2nd inline pump).
Once in a while I get low pressure but that may be the guage/ sender, etc.
One way I tested that is I plugged the return line from the inline pump and there was so much pressure it came out the FF canister lid.