24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

98 24V crazy accelerator pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
There is an ECM mounted flat against the drivers side of the engine block. There is a PCM mounted on the passenger side fire wall.
There is a PSG which some call the FPCM, but PSG is the technical term, and its the computer mounted to the top of the VP fuel injection pump.

Its complicated in understanding what computer talks to what computer at what times but they all play a different role and would depend on what the actual issue is.

You can disable the torque management if you know someone with a Smarty. Actually I think there's other boxes which can do the same but I'm at a loss at the moment which ones do.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it's now been a few weeks since I last updated this thread. I went back through all of your posts and links I rechecked everything I had thought to be the possible cause and the only thing that kept eating at me was one of the first tests I performed. On one of the checkouts (I think for the APPS). I kept getting a funky reading for the ground it would constantly be different ( the max resistance was supposed to be 5 ohm or less and I read 20, 24,26.... So I decided after all my check were re-verified that the most likely cause was a bad component on the ECM board and or a fatigued/cracked solder joint. I decided to send my ECM out for diagnostics.

I sent to INNOVEI in Texas (because I could find no bad reviews for them) and they found that my ECM had a bad capacitor, a bad solder joint at the PROM. so I paid $441.00 for the testing and the needed repairs. They sent the ECM flashed and ready for install. I installed the refurbished unit and so far so good! the fuel pump works as it should (no longer have to wait when warm for it to run, and the throttle is back to normal.

I want to thank all of you for your help, My Son's truck has never worked better and it made his Christmas when I gave it back to him with all the issues gone!
Old 12-27-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Thank you for the update and I'm glad you got it all worked out. Thats awesome.