24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2002 dodge ram 2500 47R Trany bummers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 dodge ram 2500 47R Trany bummers

Good afternoon everyone
I have a problem with my 2002 dodge ram 2500 with the 47R auto what is going on is a couple of weeks ago when I was in town I would come to a stop and the truck tried to keep going it loads up poring black smoke and dies, I was told the look up solenoid was probably bad so I bought a master solenoid kit with wire harness installed it with all new ATF+4 still dose it but not in reveres my TPS/APPS is at .42 Volts and seem to be working good Scand the trany for code and got none
Any Ideas on this
Thanks
Old 08-30-2016, 02:17 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Does the truck drive normal, especially, does it work OK if you are in N and then go to D - or does it jerk and jump doing this?

If it does not act up at the first start I would guess that you have the lockup solenoid wire shorted to ground.

Take a good look at the wiring loom that connects your transmission with the ECM on the passenger side firewall.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:40 AM

Thanks for your reply it starts up fine idles is 795 put it in drive and it jerk a head and dies!

It acts like the converter is locked up but it drives in reveres and and works normal backing up

so if the lockup solenoid was shorted would it back up fine?

Thank you when I get home from work I will check the wiring harness like you said
Old 08-30-2016, 08:16 AM

It looks like 2 different problems at once.

The lockup can only be applied from 3rd gear on up (with the stock valvebody) - my guess is that you have a short somewhere that does raise the governor pressure to a point that the truck tries to start out in 3rd, and also activates the lockup solenoid.

Take a look at this file https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...kup-switch.pdf

Pin 11 is the cable that gets ground from the PCM to engage the lockup solenoid. You can try to remove the trans relay (this will throw an error code!) and see whether it stops acting up then (you won't have lockup with the relay removed)

If you still have the same problem with the trans relay removed, it could be the lockup solenoid itself (held open by debris or simply stuck) or voltage getting to the solenoid through mysterious ways in a damaged wiring loom.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM

Ok so I pulled the relay and it still died I started to check the wiring harness at the trany and found someone had soldered a diode from the green and white wire to the black and blue wire, Any idea what that might be for?
Old 08-30-2016, 04:09 PM

OK, this is getting a bit more complex now.

I don't have the factory service manual for the 2002 trucks- you should get one, this is one of the best investments you can do if you own a truck and want to work on it.
Since I don't know what the wire colours on your truck are I have no idea what the diode should do or does.

But with no power through the relay you could also test after removing the big plug from you transmission. ( A lot of error codes will result, but it should get into first gear, no lockup if you put the selector in D, engine running- It won't shift correctly do not try to drive the truck like that)

If it acts the same with the connector pulled you will have to get into the transmission oil pan and diagnose the solenoids and the valve body. If not, you will need to take care of the wiring loom.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:53 PM

Thank you for your help
I cut the diode and connected the wires back up was still the same then I unplugged the trany wires and it is still the same so there is something internal going wrong,

Like I said this all happened before I replaced the master silanoiled kit with the new wire harness,

The trany was rebuilt 27000 miles ago

So back to square one! I will drop the pan again and pull the valve body back of and go from there Lol maybe the converter itself is looked up

Anyway thank for your help ! anything inside I should look real close at that might make it act like this
Old 08-31-2016, 12:40 AM

The converter itself can not be locked up because you still have a normal reverse gear.
I would suggest that you start measuring pressures at the test ports now, before you disassemble the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 06:37 AM

thank you for your help!
Old 09-19-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had similar problems when I bought my 99; put it in gear & it jumps ahead; put it in gear with the brakes on & it died, so I'd have to put it in gear then get on it a little so it didn't stall. Coming up to a stop light, it would push thru the brakes & acroiss the intersection if you didn't put it in neutral.
For me, it was a bad torque converter that wasn't releasing at idle; had to replace the converter
Old 09-19-2016, 06:58 PM

It acts like the converter is locked up but it drives in reveres and and works normal backing up.
what about yours?
Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 PM

2002 trany bummers

Just an update it did end up been the converter but after the trany was out we noticed someone had all ready been in to it and did a **** job at best so just went and rebuilt the hole trany with all the top of the line parts ended up coming in at $3100