1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
I ,ve found some boots before from frozen boost .com, if you cant locate any
Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Replace the alternator pulley. It's worn out.

V belts drive by the sides. If you figure out the pressure vectors, you'll find that the traction there is 3-4 times what it would be if flat. Your alternator pulley is being driven by the thin, flat top edges of the V's because the sides are worn enough so the belt runs too deep.

Originally Posted by NJTman
Working on the Doodge yesterday..

While in there, I figured I'd try to figure out the "squeaky belt" issue I've always had. J. Martin suggested the pullies were worn out, and to inspect to see whether or not they're shiny all the way in the bottom of the grooves. Well, I guess I have to keep looking...

Old 07-27-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gave the old girl a bath, and new rear brake shoes
Old 07-27-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
the side marker is connected between the parking/clearance lamp circuit and the turn signal circuit.

When the parking lamps are off, and the turn signal is on, the side marker gets 12v from the turn signal, and is grounded through all the other lamps in the parking light circuit in parallel, which looks like a wire to it.

When the parking lamps are on, the the turn signal is off, the side marker gets 12v from the parking light circuit, and is grounded through the turn signal filament, which is much heavier and looks like a wire to it.

When the parking lamps are on, and the turn signal is on, both wires to the side marker gets 12v from both circuits, and thus is out because there is no voltage across it.

The reason that led's don't work there is because the current goes through the lamp in different directions depending on the circumstances. Led's are polarity sensitive.

The easiest fix is to wire a bridge rectifier into the side marker lamp wiring. This device has 4 terminals. Connect the + to the led +, the - to the led -, and the other two, marked ~ to the wires that originally went to the lamp. No matter which way the power is coming at it, the bridge rectifier steers it to the led in the right polarity.

The part is a few bucks at radio gyp, and pennies in quantity from china.
Exactly. That's what I gather looking at the schematics. I know you've suggested the rectifier in the past. Your description of how to wire it into the system seems very easy. I'll consider this.

Originally Posted by jim lane
when you remove the lower parking/ turn signal lamp, how / where does it connect into the trucks harness,

what connector is this?

This is the connector i used.

I am sure there was some federal safety issue that led to the lighting, i remember these back to the early 70's, my mach-1 had them.

Jim
In my truck, there is no connector of any sort under the hood that I could find. Every wire, except for the ground, is individually run through the bulkhead connector on the driver's side of the firewall, according to the FSM.

Visibility is a concern but I'm not overly worried at all if the side marker doesn't flash. As oblivious as most drivers are, I generally don't change lanes if somebody is 2 lanes over and directly to my side. I'll consider a bridge rectifier as j_martin suggested.

Attached is a picture of the right side front lighting system in my 1990 FSM. The 4-way connector in the bottom center of the page and noted 'gas engine only'.

18BLK/YL* is the running light circuit.

18TN is the power from the turn signal switch.

When the running lights are on, the side marker grounds through the 18TN wire to the 18LG wire at the front bulb socket and to its ground.

My thought is to simply connect the 18TN wire from the side marker to the ground wire in the harness.

I also plan on adding a 4-way Weatherpack connector to the harness to emulate the schematics.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-20150725_220244.jpg  
Old 07-27-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I have bought a couple extra used boots as well, since a couple of mine are looking weak in a few places. I too have looked for the longer "hump" style boots, but have been un-able to find exact replacements.

I have been looking at this style though....

This is the style they run on our commercial trucks at work...but with 2 or 3 bands in the middle.

Just doing some searching on-line and came across this thread...lots of good info on products.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ilable-182819/
Old 07-27-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Thanks TC Who makes those?

Today, I dropped the rad off at the shop. Funny group of guys there..

Name:  0727150932a_zpsf2h8xcxz.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  192.6 KB

Name:  0727150938_zpsnm5lihzz.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  198.4 KB

On the way back saw this. Been about 30 years or so since I seen one of these crusing around. I thought they were all melted down turned into washing machine parts.. Cool....

Name:  0727151354a_zpstq8skoty.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  172.3 KB

Name:  0727151354_zpsisxdxgfu.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  187.2 KB
Old 07-27-2015, 03:56 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I thought they were all melted down turned into washing machine parts.
Just because they are unsafe at any speed?

Neither of my trucks had the original radiator in them when they got to me . . . pretty neat that you still have the original Chrysler sticker.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alec
Just because they are unsafe at any speed?

Neither of my trucks had the original radiator in them when they got to me . . . pretty neat that you still have the original Chrysler sticker.
I've always likes those cars, although I've never even sat in one. As a kid, I remember seeing them everywhere. Cute little ride, imo

Yeah... I thought that was cool too. Chrysler really screwed up, as they never intended the radiator, never mind the truck, to last 23 plus years. Minimal junk in the tube ends, but I figured it was time..
Old 07-27-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
My truck is about due to have the front brakes serviced. So I placed an order for a set of Big Bite cross-drilled and slotted rotors and a set of pads from SSBC.

Also going to order Timken wheel bearings, races and seals. If the existing bearings and races check out ok, then I have spares.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 PM

Saw this the other day.

Can't help but drool over the 67 and 68 body styles. Incredibly sexy car, IMO....even in green..

Name:  0724151015a_zpsqutjthwd.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  226.3 KB

Name:  0724151016_HDR_zps8pzucjqp.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  200.8 KB

Took a bunch of steel to the scrap yard. I used to get $8 a hundred, but it's down to $3.00 per hundred. Too many scrappers out there.

Name:  0723151434_HDR_zpsfghfigoo.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  219.9 KB
Old 07-27-2015, 09:19 PM

On the way back saw this. Been about 30 years or so since I seen one of these crusing around. I thought they were all melted down turned into washing machine parts.. Cool....

Too bad they missed one. My friend, and his girl died in one of those, parked by the lake on a cold winter's night makin' out. CO poisioning.

Took a bunch of steel to the scrap yard. I used to get $8 a hundred, but it's down to $3.00 per hundred. Too many scrappers out there.

Most commodities seem to be down, from oil to gold. My metal will wait till things get better.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
My neighbor had a Corvair. He was all nutso about it. Never really cared for them myself. I'd occasionally do a burnout in front of his house with my '71 Demon...made him grumpy 'cause his Corvair could barely even chirp 'em. Hehehe...
Old 07-28-2015, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Too bad they missed one. My friend, and his girl died in one of those, parked by the lake on a cold winter's night makin' out. CO poisioning.

Most commodities seem to be down, from oil to gold. My metal will wait till things get better.
J.

With all due respect, and not to get into a pizzing match with someone whom I have an admiration of talent....

Are you holding the car / car manufacturer responsible for someone who sat with their car idling and subsequently was overcome by exhaust fumes ?

Really ? I understand the emotion tied to it, but doesn't personal responsibility come into play here ? I have personal knowledge of this scenario, as my brother took his own life utilizing his car for a supply of co. The car was his tool for taking his own life, but I can't hold the car or manufacturer responsible for it.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't sit in my dodge (which has a relatively new exh system) for very long without the windows open for fresh air. It's common sense, IMO.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
There is a beautiful Corvair Monza? any way it is twin turboed and super clean as can be. It's one of those cars that is fun to look at but I wouldn't want it.

And there are quite a few Nice Camaros of all vintage years. There is even a real Shelby Cobra that I know is NOT a repro.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:42 AM

J.

With all due respect, and not to get into a pizzing match with someone whom I have an admiration of talent....

Are you holding the car / car manufacturer responsible for someone who sat with their car idling and subsequently was overcome by exhaust fumes ?

Really ? I understand the emotion tied to it, but doesn't personal responsibility come into play here ? I have personal knowledge of this scenario, as my brother took his own life utilizing his car for a supply of co. The car was his tool for taking his own life, but I can't hold the car or manufacturer responsible for it.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't sit in my dodge (which has a relatively new exh system) for very long without the windows open for fresh air. It's common sense, IMO.
They were in a parked car, engine running, wide open space down by the lake. CO came from the cabin heater, which drew outside air across the cast iron cylinder jugs with aluminum crankcase and heads. Cast iron to aluminum (great expansion difference) joints carrying exhaust components at the head/cylinder and manifold/head ventilated by air then used to heat the cabin. CO poisoning impairs judgement first, then motor functions, like breathing.

Back in Nader's day, testing with windows cracked didn't relieve the problem at all because it was so severe. High accident rate with Corvairs were attributed to driver impairment from CO poisoning.

Yea, I have an attitude about it. Bad engineering leading to death bothers me.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?