1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

VE pump leak from weep hole

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
VE pump leak from weep hole

I'm gearing up for a VE pump reseal this week. I've got the kit (minus the small green fuel pin O ring i installed a few years ago with pump still on engine) and have read up on some procedures.

Fuel is dripping fro the bottom but, my pump is not leaking from some of the usual problem areas. At the bottom about opposite the KSB, there is what looks to be a 10mm threaded hole (with no bolt in it) facing at an angle down and towards the engine with a smaller (1mm-2mm) hole at the bottom of the threaded hole that is leaking fuel. I've verified this using a mirror and flashlight with the engine running.

I haven't found this leak being discussed yet. Is this indicative of other wear that I'll need to address with the pump removed?

I'm seeing that many people go ahead and replace the throttle shaft bushing and upgrade the governor spring (ill do the 366). What else should I get to
on a 200k mile truck - internal springs?

I'm also considering doing the KDP fix. Would having the timing cover off make it easier to make sure the pump is in time once I go to re install it?

I've got a covered shop available walking distance from my house and I figure down time at this time of year is not such a big deal compared to warmer months.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Check and see if it is leaking from the control valve at the top front of the pump.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:33 AM

I will check there as well and report back but with everything else looking dry before starting, the fuel is definitely coming from the orifice I described. I will try to get a pic with the mirror showing it.

I smiled when I saw this thread caught your attention, Jim. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Replacing the 2 big internal springs that are under the injector head, can't hurt....they do tend to shatter from time to time from age and wear. As for the hole and leak your referring too.....hard to say from your description exactly, but I think that hole is just for an OEM bench mount assembly....it should just be a blind hole with nothing at the end of it.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:16 AM

Now I have the pump off and looking at the bottom, I see the bench mount points and believe fuel was leaking between pump body and, for lack of better word, the distributor on the back side of pump. There is a smal gap between the body and distributor which looks like part of the design and it was coming from that.

The leak was still dripping from that point with engine off and my small electric Walbro going. I know this because I left key on for an hour after I had it running looking for a leak and just shut engine off at the pump. Came back and still had a steady leak with Walbro clicking about once every couple seconds.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RamDodgeSam
Now I have the pump off and looking at the bottom, I see the bench mount points and believe fuel was leaking between pump body and, for lack of better word, the distributor on the back side of pump. There is a smal gap between the body and distributor which looks like part of the design and it was coming from that.

The leak was still dripping from that point with engine off and my small electric Walbro going. I know this because I left key on for an hour after I had it running looking for a leak and just shut engine off at the pump. Came back and still had a steady leak with Walbro clicking about once every couple seconds.
that seal can be changed without disassembling the whole pump. Take two of the bolts out and back the other two out just enough that you can see the seal. Back it out too far and the springs inside fall out of place. Not terrible but a pain. Cut the old o-ring off and put a new one on over the two bolts still in there. Put the other two bolts in to hold the pump together and take first two out so the o-ring is in the groove and tighten it all up. A little lube on the o-ring is good. Maybe wouldn't hurt to change a few more seals while it's out. Quite a few of them can be done without completely tearing the pump apart.
The following users liked this post:
N. Besonderes (01-17-2017)