1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

To those of you that installed a 4" exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:10 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Yea the rumbling is coming back. Doesn't happen in drive at all. Only when I come to a stop and pop it in reverse and start backing up. I tried slipping an isolator cushion type material between the pipe and the floorboard but only made it worse by me hearing it while driving. Wish there was a heat proof spray foam I could apply to isolate the pipe from any close obstructions. Sorta like that canned expanding foam. Either that or completely disassemble the exhaust system and hammer in the spots that hit. That will be a bear, so saving that one for last
Any thing you put between the pipe and the floor will transmit sound. Soft materials will just transmit less. You have to make space to compensate for the normal torque displacement of the engine on the mounts.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Any thing you put between the pipe and the floor will transmit sound. Soft materials will just transmit less. You have to make space to compensate for the normal torque displacement of the engine on the mounts.
And that brings up the question,what kind of shape are the motor mounts in?
Old 05-03-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
And that brings up the question,what kind of shape are the motor mounts in?
Motor and transmission mounts are the ones from Anchor, and were all replaced if I had to guess 4 years ago max
Old 05-03-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Can't wait till I get some extra $$ so I can replace my OEM 22 year old harmonic balancer with a fluid damper. I know a lot of these knick knack noises will disappear. That's next on my wish list
Old 05-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I have a Diamond Eye 4" headpipe and a Banks Exhaust out the back, when I installed the headpipe I made a new hanger from the transmission to hold the 4" pipe, I did not want any unnecessary weight hanging off the flange of the turbo.

Also you need support at this joint because when it is connected to the remainder of the exhaust system, all of the twisting from the engine idling and torque origionates from this joint, some use a section of flex pipe but I do not have room and I do not like rattles so I am thinking about a stainless steel isolator.

Jim
Here are some pictures of how I have secured my headpipe.

The bracket has a small foot about 3/4" bent to the rear against the pipe, the 4" clamp holds it tight.

The pipe from the turbo is in a neutral position and there is no stress on the flange.

Name:  IMG_2861_zpsx27v859d.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  144.4 KB

Even with the band clamps tight the pipes still twist at different rates wearing on the pipe, I am going to install a stainless steel mesh isolator in here when I get the time.

Name:  IMG_2859_zpsbcpt98kx.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  146.9 KB

It was sure nice to be able to easly remove my exhaust system last week when I pulled the transmission, made the job so much easier.

Hope this gives you so ideas.

Jim
Old 05-04-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Jim that looks really nice....and I like you idea about a flexible mess coupler...great idea! I've been using band clamps on my exhaust systems for quite a few years now...sure is nice to be able to pull the system apart with little effort.