Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hx-37 Vgt

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hx-37 Vgt

HX-37 VGT IF that is even the name....my hand is smudged were i wrote it down!! haha!!!

I have access to several of these turbos for a REALLY GOOD PRICE! It is a VGT.....and i am wondering if this can be adapeted to work some how? I have not seen this turbo first hand....but my friend said that it has a box with wires on the side......can this work for the 5.9? I have seen them both with a mechanical acctuator and electric. Could this be adapted to work with a pressure switch that varies resistance and work the VGT? I think the only prob is that the houseing is big (25cm2).....and that is where the VG action takes place....so i dont think a smaller housing can be found....im i correct in thinking this? MAN this would be fun to try....or at least adapt to a twin setup!!!! Let me know if anyone knows more on this turbo. Thanks!

Dan
Old 12-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned

Dan, quit thinking and just do it.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:17 PM

you know anything on this turbo?!?! Mr. Top Poster?!?! I didnt think so! Go post some more posts to make you the top poster on this site.....you Poster person! hahahahaha.....
Old 12-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

I know that it's a VGT made by holset and it's slightly bigger than an HX-35 and with a little back woods engineering would work great with my KSB-1. How's that?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:25 PM

See you waisted your next post on here! haha.....OK...so how does the control unit work? HUH?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:33 PM

i have no technical advice to offer but i think you should try it!! or send it to me so i can try it. we've gotten variable rate flow control for ag aircraft spray systems to work, i think a variable turbo would be easier than that!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:35 PM

It can be done, but the electronics would be a nightmare as I thought the wastegate was electronically controlled on the VGT's. There was a guy in Austin that used to come to the Waco meetings that had a VGT on his 24valve and worked pretty slick. You might also want to talk to swank here on the DTR as he has a trick or two up his sleeve.
Cody
Old 12-07-2005, 08:27 PM

I dont have any as of yet...but have access to TONS from what i am told...and i can get them for under $600.00 EA! They are used....and dont know of the exact condition....so its a cost of repair issue if it needs to be rebuilt some how. I dont know...but its worth looking into. It is a Holset....so......
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Muted User

VGT is the chiznit. See if you can find out about the compressor section and a bit about the effective range of the turbine housing... ie: Xcm with min voltage applied, ycm with max voltage etc. It would be rather easy to use a pressure transducer and a small PLC or single loop controller to control it. If you can get full details on it, including electrical details on the actuator that moves the housing throat, and the price is as you say, I would be very interested and would like to discuss it further.

PM me if you like, I can come up with a control device for this I am sure.

KP
Old 12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dan
See you waisted your next post on here! haha.....OK...so how does the control unit work? HUH?
Very simple. As you increase voltage, the vanes/nozzle whatever opens to allow more flow out. This varies with RPM obviously.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know anything about this particular turbo, but other Holset vgts I've seen require a 100 psi air supply and complicated electronics to work.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 PM

I kind of like this one...

Old 12-08-2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Very simple. As you increase voltage, the vanes/nozzle whatever opens to allow more flow out. This varies with RPM obviously.
There's a little more to it than just voltage.. some run on PWM which would require a signal generator, and a transistor/amplifier.. but that easy to handle.. The Holset's I have seen use air pressure..
Not all VGT move the vanes on the wheel.... some direct the exhaust flow to different points on the wheel.. the more you direct toward the outside of the wheel.. the faster the wheel will turn.. directed toward the center, and it will slow down..
Old 12-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Banned

Geez Bryan. Go and get all technical on us why don't ya. I was just trying to keep things simple for Dan. You do know that he is a little slow, right?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by JDGnut
.. the more you direct toward the outside of the wheel.. the faster the wheel will turn.. directed toward the center, and it will slow down..

Are you sure its not the oposite of this? Think of bicycle gearing or motorcycle gearing. Smaller gear on the drive wheel you go faster, larger gear you go slower.

Quick Reply: Hx-37 Vgt