Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hx-37 Vgt

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well....you actually proved brians point.....the bigger the gear, the faster it has to turn to make the one turn = lower ratio. The smaller the gear...the closer to 1:1 it is and the slower it has to turn to go one turn.

I would hope the the Holeset units that he saw were accuated by air pressure.....that would work great! BUT he said that it had some sort of box on it.....i need to have him pick one of these up and get it in my hands......but i want to see a turbo map on these first...and see if its worth messing with.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:51 PM

Think of a putting your finger over the end of a water hose, and increasing the velocity of the air.. The vanes in the pic are in the open or in the Low speed position.. As they turn out the speed increases..
Old 12-08-2005, 09:58 PM

What turbo is that? Is that the Garrett VGT?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:11 PM

Its a Borg Warner... the Old Schwitzer series.. I posted a pic of the tag... Its the turbo on the New 9.0L...
Old 12-09-2005, 07:35 AM

By 9.0L you mean JD 9.0L right?? Is that a VVT turbo like the 6.0L PS uses? If so, I hope it works the same:P

Chris
Old 12-09-2005, 07:41 AM

AHHHH the new 9L that i have yet to see any off at our shop!!! haha...not a good year for farming up here in our neck!! Thats cool though.....might have some potential...in a dodge????? Do you have one at the school? Bring it home with ya if you do...would love to see it in person this weekend....

Dan
Old 12-09-2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by signature600
By 9.0L you mean JD 9.0L right?? Is that a VVT turbo like the 6.0L PS uses? If so, I hope it works the same:P

Chris
Yes, the New JD 9.0L engine.. Not exactly sure what the PS are using...

Dan, You won't see any of the 9.0L trickle in until the spring.. they are just starting production of the tractors.. which will probably be the first place you will start seeing this engine.. (They going to be in almost anything that had the 8.1L engine..) They are supposed to have a P-pumped version out sometime late next year for LOW horse-power applications.. (It will probably just be used for OEM and non emmission applications..)
I don't have any at school, they are in Dallas for class starting on Monday..

Old 12-09-2005, 08:19 PM

see if it looks like the one at the beginning, or the end of this thread. please. and make sure that it does NOT need a rebuild. cuz you can NOT get parts. or tools. or help for these things on this continent. unless you're gale banks.

dave

on edit: ok. like the one on the first page, or the second page?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:29 PM

We had a pre production 8230 w/ an IVT for a couple weeks, very quiet and very cool. It had some of bugs they have to get worked out before they start production.

Originally Posted by JDGnut
Yes, the New JD 9.0L engine.. Not exactly sure what the PS are using...

Dan, You won't see any of the 9.0L trickle in until the spring.. they are just starting production of the tractors.. which will probably be the first place you will start seeing this engine.. (They going to be in almost anything that had the 8.1L engine..) They are supposed to have a P-pumped version out sometime late next year for LOW horse-power applications.. (It will probably just be used for OEM and non emmission applications..)
I don't have any at school, they are in Dallas for class starting on Monday..
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 PM

Very cool.....i assume unit injectors (on the non P-pump engines)?

Good point on the rebuild issue....but these turbos will be more common more and more....and the aftermarket and rebuilders will catch on with that.....soooo....

I feel that VGT is a GREAT gap filler between large turbos and twins......definatly the future
Old 12-10-2005, 01:28 AM

yeah, things will become available. just not in the immediate future, from what i've been told by holset and cummins and a couple turbo shops. all i'm saying is don't expect to get the turbo next week and have a rebuild kit next month, eh? if you do get one though, i'd love to go over some ideas with you. i don't know if you checked out that link in my last post, but i've got both the turbos needed for vgt twins.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Banned

We start seeing the 30series on railcars in the middle of Feb, all of us in the shop have bets on how long till there is a mod. The turbo sounds good but lets hope we have better luck with moving parts in the exhaust than international and Ferd.

Steve
Old 12-10-2005, 09:06 AM

Well correct me if im wrong...but the Holset is TONS simpler with the way it goes about adjusting its Geometry. I believe its a collar that slides back and forth. No vanes, actuated by oil pressure and such (I think that is how the Garret on the 6.0L and LLY D-Max does it...D-max may be a little different but same turbo)

Man! I didnt even see your link! I just checked it out....yeah...that could work!!! What turbo is that?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:32 AM

the big one is an hy55v and the little on is an hy35v.

steve, the holsets have been on cummins for a while now and NOBODY in this country is ALLOWED to work on them. a special machine/tool is required to calibrate the darn thing, that holset WILL NOT let anybody in this country have. if you have a problem with the turbo, you exchange for a NEW one. through cummins, not holset or a turbo shop. this is all stuff that i've dug up over the last 8 or so months, and would absolutely LOVE to be proven wrong. definitely interested in what you guys can come up with.

dave
Old 12-10-2005, 02:03 PM

Dan the 9.0L is HPCR.. the injectors are electronic... Pressure is created by a 3 piston pump.. same basic theory as the 8.1L was using.. just a different pump..
Not sure which head they are going to use for the P pump engines.. I'm hoping to see a 24V on it like the HPCR engines.. but I have heard rumors of it being a 12V head..

"Sea01Cummer
We start seeing the 30series on railcars in the middle of Feb, all of us in the shop have bets on how long till there is a mod. The turbo sounds good but lets hope we have better luck with moving parts in the exhaust than international and Ferd."

LOL.. I hope its longer than when the 20's came out, and the fuel filter PIP... I know that the demo tractors are going back to the factory to be update to the production machines.. but I have seen a few things that they did not change.. (the AC lines and other little things) Haven't heard of any problems with the engine. The injectors and pump have been running on the 6.8L engines for a while so most of the bugs should be out of that part of the system.. (but it is a 3 piston pump vs a 2 piston used on the 6.8L 24V engine.) If there is a problem it will probably just be a programing change.. (Not that I have heard of any thing that needs to be changed.)

"Charlie8301
We had a pre production 8230 w/ an IVT for a couple weeks, very quiet and very cool. It had some of bugs they have to get worked out before they start production."

Yes, I was impressed by the tractor, we were at the factory in early Sept. and ran some of the tractors in the field.. the trick with the IVT is to get the customers to use the different settings to get the most of the trany.. let the computer control the engine RPM's and the transmission to maintain a constant speed..
I ran a 8530 on the dyno a few weeks ago.. And lets just say someone's going to be happy with that tractor... I didn't do a full torque curve.. just down to rated for a while before the dyno started getting hot..

Quick Reply: Hx-37 Vgt