Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hx-37 Vgt

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDGnut
I mostly work with electronics and Auto Steer, the new GS2 screen are very impressive, Deere need to do something, the old display were getting pretty outdated.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by JDGnut
I ran a 8530 on the dyno a few weeks ago.. And lets just say someone's going to be happy with that tractor... I didn't do a full torque curve.. just down to rated for a while before the dyno started getting hot..
What did it make at rated?? If it's like the old 20 Series, it made exactly what it should.

Deere will be OK again if their IVT doesn't take a dump like it did in the 7020's. If they have more troubles with the big one, Big Orange will be way ahead of them I also hope the 9.0L is easier on fuel than the old 8.1L They need a gas guzzler tax!

Chris
Old 12-12-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
What did it make at rated?? If it's like the old 20 Series, it made exactly what it should.

Deere will be OK again if their IVT doesn't take a dump like it did in the 7020's. If they have more troubles with the big one, Big Orange will be way ahead of them I also hope the 9.0L is easier on fuel than the old 8.1L They need a gas guzzler tax!

Chris
The 8.1 did like the fuel when at the higher HP rating, but it was always well above rated hp as well as a much better torque curve then rated. We have sold many IVT's as we sit in a large potato farm pocket, never seen one as much as hiccup. Not much to go wrong.

Randy
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 AM

The 8530 I pulled down to rated made 311hp at rated.. it was on a new dyno.. but I won't say that it was 311, utill I run a 20series on it, to get a good comparison.. I'm didn't get a chance to pull it throught a complete curve.. I want to see what it peeks at..
Well, the 9.0L is supposed to be easier on fuel.. but it makes more Hp.. I bet it ends up being close.. Just a little better on HP/fuel ratio...

Its a shame the 8.1L's been my favorite engine.. and has been solid... then it seemed like little things knocked it down.. Pistons debonding, fuel filters, HPCR injectors.. and now the cranks... The 9.0L has bigger rod journals, steel pistons and has been worked past the problems seen in the 8.1L and the 6.8L engines... but it has alot more sensors...

Chris
Old 12-13-2005, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the explanation...

We (AGCO) will be going to Common Rail shortly and that is my only fear. Our engine is ROCK SOLID but the HPCR system still has bugs, mostly because of our poor NA fuel quality We'll See!

Our SISU/Valmet (now AGCO) engine is pretty stout. I have had 5 of the 240 PTO HP tractors on the dyno and the lowest at rated was 265 HP. Most of them would peak around 385-390, and hold 250+ all the way down to idle. I was very impressed when they outpulled the old C8.3 Cummins we used to use!!

The coolest part is when I was at the factory in July I saw all the newest stuff...Cool!! And I also say one of the pulling tractors running that engine...2500 HP @ 5500 RPM on the stock bottom end

I think we might have a good competitor with the 8030's...if the IVT can run with our tried and true CVT. Again, We'll see

Chris
Old 12-13-2005, 02:38 PM

I am new to Cummins scene. I have no 1st hand experience with say HY351 turbo, and related control systems. (However I assume we're talking about positive air pressure control system, and PWM solenoid valve to drive the wastegate.)

Volkswagens have had PWM modulated wastegates for aeons. Variable geometry turbo's have been around maybe like past 7 or 8 years. Those are PWM controlled as well, but use vacuum instead of boost pressure to drive vane mechanism.

I see no reason why variable geometry Holset could not be made to work purely on mechanical means. Volkwagen people have converted vacuum control systems into boost pressure driven systems. I must say, those accomplishments are however working on purely mechanically controlled injection systems. I do not know of anyone who has managed to do that in a fully electronically controlled engine management system.

Everything is possible. I see no problem in having such system built up for electronically controlled engine, and creating boost map into ECU chip to match charger behaviour. This way we will avoid unwanted 'limp mode' the ECU will throw as a result, when boost pressure differs from chip's parameters. One local car in my neck of the woods has been mapped in this manner.

- Artsi
Old 12-13-2005, 05:17 PM

My Babies...

Old 12-13-2005, 06:04 PM

gee whizz...

are you going to use that pic for your christmas card?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:55 PM

Its a shame the 8.1L's been my favorite engine.. and has been solid... then it seemed like little things knocked it down.. Pistons debonding, fuel filters, HPCR injectors.. and now the cranks...
I don't consider those as minor items especially the crankshaft issues.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 PM

by pistons debonding you mean they're coming apart or losing their coating? i hope you were being sarcastic, cause yeah, those don't sound like minor maintenance issues.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by jon96ctd
by pistons debonding you mean they're coming apart or losing their coating? i hope you were being sarcastic, cause yeah, those don't sound like minor maintenance issues.
Yes, I was being a little sarcastic... but it was such a solid engine... a few high HP, high hr machine were seeing some plunger and barrell wear.. but the rest was solid..
Once we hit teir II, there were some issues... all little things that caused some headaches.. but the latest one.. (the crank..) was a minor detail.. but when it comes to a crank.. it turns to a major issue... But I can say that Deere has backed all these issues.. You will see some complete new engines, and/or long blocks going into machines that don't show any problems.. yet..
Old 12-14-2005, 02:55 PM

You will see some complete new engines, and/or long blocks going into machines that don't show any problems.. yet..
sounds like their customer service people should teach dodge a thing or two!
Old 12-14-2005, 03:04 PM

We've had one crank issue in a 9760STS. Deere put a new engine in it and we had them running the next morning.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:18 PM

Glad your Deere dealer is better than the on in our area. One of our good customers (runs 25 AGCO tractors) also has 4 Deere combines, and 2 9520's. His 9860 went down this fall and the "dealer" couldn't get there for 4 days. Customer had to fix it themselves. Personally, if I owned $2 million in Deere equipment, I'd be livid, but it doesn't do any good

Chris
Old 12-16-2005, 11:23 AM

Glad your Deere dealer is better than the one in our area.

Chris
That is the Key... No matter color/flavor/brand you run... If your dealer is not very good, your products will suffer..

Chris, if you ever get a chance to pull a mechanical pump engine down below idle, you can have some fun.. but it can break things.. lol.. If you can ever pull it down to where the rack drops into the "start mode".. and then ease it back to idle.. it will make more than rated at Idle...

Quick Reply: Hx-37 Vgt