3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cold weather idle TSB 18-004-04

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cold weather idle TSB 18-004-04

Did the flash and enable for the cold weather idle today on a customers 04. Talk about a great option! After flashing his controller and turning the function on with the DRB it worked perfectly. This feature works like this. Start the truck up, turn the cruise on and push set. The idle immediately ramps up to around 1000. Push the accell/resume button and you can increase the idle up to 1500. Touch the brake pedal and idle returns to normal. The bulletin applies to DR trucks ETC or ETH auto trans with an engine serial number **57130284** or earlier, and the engine date of manufacture on or before **December 10, 2003**.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brilliant! I always wondered why this wasn't included from the factory. Ford wants to sell you a special AIC controller just to do something the ECM can already do. I think it's great that Dodge is now offering this for free!

I'll have to get this done ASAP.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:58 PM

So this is only available on trucks with an automatic transmission?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:04 PM

Sounds like a great feature. Too bad that it's not for manual trannies also, though.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:43 PM

Do you know if this reflash of the ECM does anything to the calibration of how the motor runs or does it just had the high idle feature? Also, what does one have to tell the dealer to get this flash?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:49 AM

Not sure what you have to tell the dealer nor do I know if it is free.

It is an "enable" in the calibration. It has always been there (on HPCR engines). You just need to know how to "enable" it

Yes, until there is some way to verify that the manual trans is in neutral (without adding cost as usual) , the option will only be for the automatic.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:08 AM

Doesn't make sense why it would only be available on auto's. The ECM should be able to use some of the same criteria that it uses for the automatic cold weather 1000rpm idle. If the speed is 0, the emergency brake is on, etc.

I would really like to have this capability built in instead of paying $400 for a throttle controller from BD.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:19 AM

I agree with your comments, the parking brake is something that is read by the ECM, but the parking brake light can be activated even though the parking brake is not actually engaged (just barely tap the lever and the light comes on). The ECM also reads vehicle speed (obviously), but that wouldn't stop the vehicle from launching at 1,500rpm.

I understand your argument though, if they can raise the idle in extreme cold (below 20deg. F) and for extended idle conditions, why can't they do it for this feature? I'll ask.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:47 AM

The ECM also reads the clutch, it shuts down the cruise if the clutch is used.

The high idle on demand would be great!
Old 02-26-2004, 06:31 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't understand why they're not making this available for the manuals! I want a high-idle controller for this truck! The only thing I can think of it that the ones with the auto are a bit more "mechanical" then the manual, meaning they have a solenoid while the manual is completely controlled from the ECM. THAT is why this doesn't make sense. You would think it would be easier to program for a manual.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
I don't understand why they're not making this available for the manuals! I want a high-idle controller for this truck! The only thing I can think of it that the ones with the auto are a bit more "mechanical" then the manual, meaning they have a solenoid while the manual is completely controlled from the ECM. THAT is why this doesn't make sense. You would think it would be easier to program for a manual.
I am sure they can, the programing is the same. My guess is that the lawyers wont let them. If you know your dealer really well you might beable to get them to do it.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:29 AM

Other than a few discussions, I couldn't find this TSB on the web; could someone post a url?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by bulabula
Other than a few discussions, I couldn't find this TSB on the web; could someone post a url?
I too am very interested in this.... please forward or post the URL.

TIA!!

Nash
Old 02-26-2004, 11:23 AM

The ECM does not read the clutch. The clutch switch is wire directly to the ignition (if the clutch pedal is not engaged the starter will not engage). The cruise kicks out because of the sudden increase in RPM without an increase in vehicle speed (as if you hit a patch of ice and lost control the cruise kicks out).

Your objections are well founded. If the idle speed can be raised for extreme cold starts and extended idling, why can't it be raised with this feature?

It is most certainly the lawyers keeping this out for the manuals and as I said, the programing is already there, it just needs to be enabled. It was designed as a PTO option for the manual trans in the first place.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:26 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if there is a dealer that would do it anyway. BUT, if the programming has to show the auto in park or neutral, the thing would never work on the manual. That blows.

Quick Reply: Cold weather idle TSB 18-004-04