1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i installed them, ive installed a bunch of suspension parts before such as complete lift kits from skyjacker and replacement springs for my last 2 first gens!!! Yes tightened with weight on them! Im fresh out of ideas!!!
Where are you located? I wish a few of us could get together, and drive each other's trucks. I think my truck rides great...but some people's great is not equal to others. That, and suspension ride is hard to describe with words.

If you're close to east TN, you're welcome to come drive my truck, and I wouldn't mind feeling what the parabolics are like.

--Eric
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM

This is a great company with great product. They went out of there way to help me. I sent them pics and they pointed out that my shocks were too short. So these springs are a little more then 2". Anyways . Again. Good company w great customer service. Wouldn't hesitate to deal w them again
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Let us know how they ride once you get the shocks sorted out.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM

For sure. Regaurdless of the ride I am just happy they are willing to help out with my issue.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Got the longer shocks installed on the truck. They ride better than stock, but they are bouncy feeling, a little strange. They ride like 2.5" skyjacker soft ride springs, mabye a little more rough. They are a durable spring and will last a long time. If you get these springs in 2" or more you will need longer travel shocks and a drop pitman arm. Overall I am happy with the product, rediculously good quality, a lot of time and care put into the product and excellent customer service these guys will take care of you and help you out over the phone.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jamo90ram
They are a durable spring and will last a long time. Overall I am happy with the product, ridiculously good quality, a lot of time and care put into the product and excellent customer service; these guys will take care of you and help you out over the phone.
I have no doubt about the quality of the customer service, but do these parabolic springs really soften one's ride? I've run Kelderman air bags on all four corners for several years but have been disappointed -- the truck still bounces like a hay wagon.

My truck is gorgeous, runs great, and I receive compliments on it everytime I drive it -- however, I find myself driving it less and less because of the bone-jarring ride. I am willing to consider new springs on the front, but I fear nothing I do will make much of a difference. Help?

TIA.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I am in the same boat, i told the wife this weekend, ( the only reason i would ever consider selling my 93 and getting something newer is the ride quality) i would have to make shure the newer one was any better though.

my 93 is extreemly harsh front and rear, my big problem is i need something strong enough to haul my monster truck camper while still giving a somewhat of a diecent ride.

i know i know you can't have everything ......but i would take a lot of one thing and a little of the other.

Darwin
Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For the rear, get a set of soft leaves and put in air bags. Great for hauling. Saying that i am going to try some 63'' rear springs VS 52'' stockers for an even softer ride.

For the front, you may see a coil spring setup emerge this winter sometime so stay tuned.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

This was posted in a thread five years ago (regarding which rear springs were available from the factory on a new First Gen truck):

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Oh man, what a can of worms!

Here's what you could get:

D250 - 6 leaf/5,450 lb with or without 1,170 lb overloads
D350 - 6 leaf/5,450 lb or 7 leaf/7,300 lb with or without 1,800 lb overloads, OR 10 leaf/7,600 lb
W250 - 7 leaf/7,300 lb with or without 1,170 lb overloads, or 10 leaf/7,600 lb
W350 - 7 leaf/7,300 lb with or without 1,800 lb overloads, or 10 leaf/7,600 lb

SRW or DRW makes no difference.

Confused yet?
My W250 is equipped with the 7-leaf springs without overloads. My logic (admittedly harebrained) tells me that a 10-leaf spring designed to handle 7600 lbs would utilize thinner leaves than a 7-leaf spring designed to handle 7300 pounds? So, would the 10-leaf spring potentially provide a softer ride than the 7-leaf spring?

TIA.

(And yes, I realize the weight capacity would actually be spread over springs on BOTH sides of the truck.)
Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Hi PJ-3, Was wondering if you would chime in with an update on your spring upgrade ? Also a part number for the front Bilsteins with longer travel u used on the upgrade ? Getting ready to order a set and wanted to see if u were still happy with the upgrade. Thanks, Ron
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Well I got mine in with my el cheapo taller shocks and hummer wheels. They look to be real high quality, only thing that bothers me is the shackle they send does not have the same center to center for the bolt holes.
Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  127.2 KB
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Banned

only thing that bothers me is the shackle they send does not have the same center to center for the bolt holes.
Hopefully they're longer by ~ 1/2"?

If so, that's not a bad thing. It will allow the springs to flex some more.

--Eric
Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I made a set of 1/2 inch longer front shackles this year for my 6 inch lifted '85 crew cab using Skyjacker springs.
Over the last 5 years they sagged a little, mostly on the drivers side with the extra battery, driver and fuel tank weight.
This was causing contact of the shackles with the frame.
The stock shackles, lower shackle bolt was hitting the frame when the leaves flatted out.
They were hitting the bottom of the frame, not the rivet on the frame that is designed stop travel of the shackle.
The longer shackles give the springs more room to move, and a slightly softer ride, due to more travel.
I am guessing that is why they included new shackles...if they are shorter, then I am confused
Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 PM

I worded that wrong, they're longer shackles with the springs that replace the factory ones, but the bolt hole centers are not the same on the new shackles meaning the bolt has no choice but to go in at angle. I didn't have time to make new ones.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PJ 3
482,000 K .........Running Rotella and changed every 5000 !
I'm gonna catch you! I've got 458,000 on mine. Kindof a one-owner truck too, my dad bought it new. BTW you might wanna switch to an old school CI rated oil like Case IH. The new CJ Rotella isn't as good as the old CI rated oil with ZDDP additive. Just sayin.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Upgrade