Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Stanadyne and ULSD, the official word!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Stanadyne and ULSD, the official word!

My E-mail to Stanadyne:

I understand that Stanadyne diesel fuel additives have recently been reformulated for use with the new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel. What exactly do the new formulations do that the old ones do not? What is Stanadyne's position about the use of the old formulations with ULSD fuel? I am primarily interested in what I should do with my existing stocks of old Performance Formula and old Lubricity Formula. I have a pre-2007 common rail diesel pickup truck. Thank you for your prompt help! :-)

Their reply not one hour later:

THANK YOU for your inquiry! A LOT of folks are asking this question these days, so you are not alone. Essentially the only change Stanadyne has made is to design new labels for our additive line to highlight their use with ULSD. The label also states the compliance with low sulfur content requirements as required by the EPA. I’ve attached some additional information regarding the use of Stanadyne additives with ULSD.

We introduced the newly labeled products mid-August and you should start to see them in the distribution chain toward the end of this month. The formulation changes were very minor because we did not want “new and improved” even though we have used that marketing term – we wanted to continue to offer the same product that has been proven to work as it says it will and is recommended by major OEM’s. Stanadyne diesel fuel additives are meant to work most effectively with diesel fuel only - we cannot make the same beneficial claims if they are used with anything more than a 5% bio content or other alternative fuels.

Performance Formula® has always had a higher lubricity content than other additives on the market, and whether you have a bottle a year old or one right off the production line it will more than meet the lubrication demands of ULSD. You do not need to alter your treatment ratio at all. While Lubricity Formula® is a concentrated lubricant with five times the lubricating content of Performance Formula®, it does not have the cold weather protection factors or cetane improver. The folks who still want additional lubrication are adding Lubricity Formula® every now and then for additional protection. Someone said that the cost of additive at $9.95 is better than 100 times that for a pump replacement!!

Please continue to use our products whether a year old or fresh off the production line with full confidence that they will continue to maximize the performance and protect your diesel engine with the lower sulfur fuels! THANKS again for contacting us with your question.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good, I just got a bottle of performance formula, will use it soon.