TXDTR #42 Forum for the Texas chapter #42

November Stephenville area DTR #42

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great, then we're going to run low on the 2nd gens in our group. You gonna do my special exhaust system if you get a 3rd?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM

You bet man! Even if I can't get a 3rd and have to get another 2nd it WILL be a standard and WILL do that exhaust!!! I'll need to know where you got that again and probably configure it a little different(same concept)(if you don't mind lol lol ) Trying to see what tip to get, and how big a pipe lol. Not 6" lol, but at least a 6" tip. Yeah, I can't wait!!! Will be 2wd also.

Matt - I was gonna ask you....besides one more gear to shift, is there any major difference between a 5 and 6 speed??? That would make me want to get one or the other more, or wait to find one or the other??? Thanks man!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:43 PM

5speed is nv4500, 6 is nv5600. The gears on the 5600 are more closely spaced in the middle, same OD I believe. Then the 05.5 and up G56 has less overdrive, and a little different shift pattern. The 5600 is more expensive to rebuild and build up IIRC and is heavier.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 PM

Thanks Randy, so maybe the 5 speed would be good then?? The overdrive on a standard is different than an automatic isn't it? On an auto, you hit OD and it steps down a gear RPMs go up and speed decreases a bit depending on when you hit the OD button. Well I guess, if I don't see ya'll till the Jan. meet, I'll have 2 new trucks by then, at least one! Gonna get a nice stack for the International, and put my brand and ranch name on the side of it, put a tool box on it, and some other stuff. Hey, how do you think the International would sound with a straight piped DT466??
Old 11-14-2007, 10:55 PM

Jordan, stay with a nv5600 or 4500 the 5 speeds like my truck have a small problem with fifth gear nut backing off but other than that there close. the 6 speed does not have 1:1 gear ratio and the 5 speed does in forth. IMHO the five speeds are better for towing 6 for racing, if you are gonna do that autos the only way to go tho. Glad the coolers working for ya.

Randy, How much? Fer the ferd?

Matt I am still trying to find out for friday so .... I will let you know

Jason
Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Chapter President

From what I've been seeing the 5th gear in the 6spd is 1:1. Anyways the autos final gear ratio is .69 (at least I'm for sure on the 48REs) the 5spds were .74 or .75 and the 6 spd is .73 (I'm positive on that one, I just hope my source was too) The problem with doing my exhaust on the 2nd gens is then you don't have the absolute quiet to start with.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 AM

Hey Jason yours is the nv4500. But yes it is a good tranny. the 5600 does have the 1:1 5th. I researched the crap out of these when doing my swap, and went cheap...shouldve gone 5600. But thats just cause I want unique. If youre gonna have a towing truck, then it really wont matter waht tranny you need in this one. The 5600 IMO is better for towing because of the closer spaced gears, but thats just my .02.

Im trying to get 2000 out of the Ford.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:50 AM

Randy, you need to call mark, he might want the ford, also cody might be interested in it. As for the 5th gear nut backing off, that can be solved with a revised nut and a little "engineering" of the southern variety, also was only a problem on the 2nd gen's. Give me a call whenever jordan, i don't mind helping out a bit. As for straight piping it, i think a dt466 would probably sound pretty good with a straight pipe, most of the smoker tractors run a straight piped dt or one of the jd engines, but they are built up quite a bit. Also the biggest difference in the 5/6 speed third gen trucks is that the 5 speed was only available in '03 and early '04 with the standard output CTD, the 6 speeds are all HO's and all 04.5 up manual trans trucks have them.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:13 PM

Alright thanks guys. Got bad news today!!!

My mechanic called me and said that my tranny is toasted worse than when it had to be rebuilt the first time. So bad he said the place that built it might not honor the warranty on it. So I have to pay for another rebuild, gonna do it nothing special cause it's gonna go up for sale when I get it home from the shop. It sucks, cause I don't quite have the funds for a bigger truck just yet and I'm supposed to be hauling a lot of hay next week! Oh well, gonna have to wait I guess...so that's what's up here.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 PM

Hey also Travis...I was wondering if you knew any other place I might look for those trucks I need??? Somewhere maybe a little closer to the Metroplex than Ok city lol. I'd really appreciate it. I'll be online lookin for stuff tonight So just let me know any other websites and stuff too.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 PM

There's an place here in arlington that has a bunch of medium and heavy duty internations, i don't know exactly what they have or anything but if i get a chance i'll stop and see. Also if you have a place to store it and put up for sale, look at some of the box trucks that are on truck traders website, they seem to go for a decent price, and that opens up your options quite a bit. I'll do some checking into places around here and see what else i can find with used trucks close by. Are you looking for something with a flat bed, or will a c&c do for you (if you put a hitch on it that is.) Just will help to narrow down the field or expand it depending on what you want.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:23 PM

Okay Cici's it is at 7 yall.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:06 PM

Vote for Shelby or Matt yall....
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=176909
Old 11-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Chapter President

This is the tricky month, ya'll have 2 chapter 42 representatives in this months, one of us better win.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 PM

Hey Travis, I'll try to call and get the location of the place in Arlington, I might stop by there on Mon. Been real busy in Houston and haven't gotten a chance to call, or just pm me the location. Doesn't really matter either flatbed or not. I'll just use the 5th wheel on there or put on a gooseneck. also those box trucks are an interesting point, in some cases that would be good and others I really need to be able to get 300 bales to haul long ways to some feed stores and fill contracts and stuff. But if I could find a real long box truck, or one that's a single axle day cab(or in that range that comes with a box trailer I wouldn't mind looking into that, but don't want to spend more than $10k if I don't have to. I've already got a 40' straight deck trailer that is awesome for hauling tons of hay. Thanks for the help

Matt - good point, I need that quiet engine in the 3rd gens lol lol I'm still figuring out insurance on it though, might have to get either a single cab 3rd gen. for me to be able to afford the insurance on it...possibly that's what I'm waiting to hear back on.

Quick Reply: November Stephenville area DTR #42