TXDTR #42 Forum for the Texas chapter #42

New tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New tranny

I just got my new goerend tranny in my truck today and went to pick it up all excited but then after driving it I'm all bummed out. It just doesn't feel right. I know the converter is supposed to be tight, but something cant be right because i have to put my foot on the floor with my chip turned all the way up just to get my truck moving. It feels like my parking brake is pushed to the floor the entire time i'm driving. Anybody got any ideas? I'm gonna give dave a call tomorrow and check it out, but it definately doesn't feel right. I know i need more power, but it shouldn't take that much just to get the thing spinning
Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 PM

Did you post in 3rd gen section?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:49 PM

I dont know anything about what you are dealing with on the change, but did you get a big bad converter to go with it? If so, increasing the rotating mass and possible increases in parasitic pump losses on a beefed tranny could make it slower to react. When I went from a TH400 to 4L80E in my truck it seemed much more sluggish. I was bummed, but I am just used to the sluggishness now ....suppose I need to get a new plate to liven it back up
Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Ya, its go a big billet converter. I had a bd converter before this though, and it was sluggish, but this is bad. My truck will hardly go. It feels like its taking off in 3rd gear with the parking brake on
Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by rbrettctd
Did you post in 3rd gen section?
Ya. I've got a bunch of replies, but they all just say its because its a bigger converter, which I know its gonna be sluggish with the tighter converter because I had the bd. But you gotta ride in it, its bad. Theres no way in helll I could pull a trailer
Old 01-14-2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by mcolectd
Ya. I've got a bunch of replies, but they all just say its because its a bigger converter, which I know its gonna be sluggish with the tighter converter because I had the bd. But you gotta ride in it, its bad. Theres no way in helll I could pull a trailer
I'm in S'ville. Who did the work? I am fairly handy and been doing this stuff for a while. I own/manage The Fitness Center. Gimme a call and swing by and I can give you my expert garage mechanic opinion. I should be there tomorrow pending a sick kiddo being better in the morning.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:53 PM

Smarty time perhaps??? Jason (silver 06 Jason) is getting a dr.p chip for free, might holler at him...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:19 PM

Ya definately smarty and quad time, but Its gotta be money time first. Anybody want a banks?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:24 PM

Sounds to me like it's the tighter converter causing you troubles, shoulda just bought a 6 speed truck and been done with it a long time ago. I just don't think you're ever gonna be totally happy with an auto in your truck, just from what i've seen. But with a bit more power you'll be a lot happier with that stout tranny in it.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:56 PM

Na I talked to dave today and got it figured out. Its not shifting down from third when I stop. He sent me a new governor solenoid pressure sensor and he said that should fix it. Ya your right, I shoulda got a six speed and I wanted a six speed, but I was stupid and jumped on this one because I got a good deal. But look how much its costing me now. Itll be badass when its right though, if ive finally got a tranny thatll hold up which i think i do, if i can get it working right
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 PM

I agree though, a 6 speed woulda made a a lot happier a long time ago. Its gonna have to be just right for me to be completely happy with it
Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 PM

"But I got a good deal on the truck!''

How much is the auto tranny costing you now, $1100 tc #1, $5k for this tranny. The best clutch is no more than $1600....couldve bought a few of those.

Just messing with ya, ya know Im a man for the stick lol.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Ya I know, thanks for reminding me Edit. Haha, Ive ben saying ever since I got my truck that I regretted the auto, but can't help it now, whats done is done and I just gotta try to make the best out of it
Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 PM

Well I had the same problem but my truck was taking off in 3rd gear. Check all the connections esspecailly PCM and ECM mine was due to corroded wires that plugged into the ECM. Cleaned that off and man it's freakin sweet with my new trany!!! Just had mine rebuilt for the 2nd time, everything imaginable is new, I do know that they put some new high performance electronics and shift kits on it and now I have to turn close to 2200 rpm before getting out of first, helps it pull a lot harder as well, all the gears take a little more rpm's that it used to but it sticks better and pulling my big trailer is a freakin dream now it's night and day in just that little area. So, I'm not real sure what's up, but I do know that if it feels sluggish like that you might have too many volts going to the transducer cylaniod, or inside of the trany in one of the gaskets there could be a hole that either isn't where it should be or no hole where it needes it. I've heard about that happening too. Let us know what's up with it!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 PM

Correction......governor cylaniod.....and the transducer...not transducer cylaniod lol.

If your trany is having problems again and you ever need to rebuild it or anything I'll give you the guys number that I sent my truck to, he's sent in a lot of hotshotters around here and a load of guys that are putting from 400 hp-700 hp on it and pulling the heck out of it and everything is still as tight as it was 190k miles ago. I'm gonna be freakin happy with mine! The reason it had to be rebuilt a 2nd time was my fault completly, had nothing to do with the rebuild of the trany.

Quick Reply: New tranny