Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Winterizing my toyhauler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winterizing my toyhauler?

Have a few ?'s about getting my toyhauler ready for winter. I have drained all my tanks and put anti-freeze in all the p-traps, opened and cleaned refridge and opened cabinets to keep from trapping moisture in if it get there.I drained the water heater, is there anything I should know about doing that like put anything back in it to keep it from corroding or whatever. I am in Alaska so I was going to get a cover for my A/C unit to keep the snow out of it. Other than that I think that is all i have done, any help would be great.

Jake
Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 PM

Usually get a container of damp rid and set it on the floor in the middle or on the counter top. it will help with moisture controll also. can be found at walmart in the rv section. works great. parents have used it for years and i too use it in my TH and boat(boat is inside now):-)
Old 09-25-2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by bggrndodge
Have a few ?'s about getting my toyhauler ready for winter. I have drained all my tanks and put anti-freeze in all the p-traps, opened and cleaned refridge and opened cabinets to keep from trapping moisture in if it get there.I drained the water heater, is there anything I should know about doing that like put anything back in it to keep it from corroding or whatever. I am in Alaska so I was going to get a cover for my A/C unit to keep the snow out of it. Other than that I think that is all i have done, any help would be great.

Jake
I go the route of draining all the lines and blowing them out with air, them i put anti freeze in the p-trtaps and enough in the fresh water tank to prime the pump with AF.

Mine has drains to get the water out of the system and I have a water heater bypass.

Hub
Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tie an air compressor into the external water system regulate the pressure to about 50 psi, blow out all of the water lines...especially the one to the Porto Potty as the valve for it has a small reservoir for water to get trapped in..Don't ask me how I know about this one
Old 09-25-2008, 09:49 PM

Yeah have one of those damp rid things may one more wouldn't be a bad idea though. As far as the, water heater I have drained it, and ran all the water out of the pump the best I can, along with leaving all the focets open.
I'll blow out the lines and toilet, I guess do it with one focet at a time or does it matter?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 PM

Don't forget the hose going to your shower head(s).
Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by bggrndodge
Yeah have one of those damp rid things may one more wouldn't be a bad idea though. As far as the, water heater I have drained it, and ran all the water out of the pump the best I can, along with leaving all the focets open.
I'll blow out the lines and toilet, I guess do it with one focet at a time or does it matter?
I asked one of my friends the same question, and he said "one at a time".
Old 09-26-2008, 08:17 AM

Yes one at a time.. Make sure you use some anitfreeze to protect your pump, does not take much, just enough in the line to prtect the impeller.

You may check around on you hauler and see if they have drains for the entire water system, mine does. There is usally a blue and red line with white caps on the ends.

Hub
Old 09-26-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I used to do the "blow the water lines out" with a fitting and air compressor.

Then I added one of those kits so you can turn a valve and have the pump draw from a tube and anti-freeze from the bottle.

I thought I got all the water with the air method and was just doing the anti-freeze to protect the pump...

I was surprised at how much clear water came out before it turned pink, so now I always suck anti-freeze through the pump.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 AM

Yep, unscrew the supply line to your water pump and attach a hose so it can draw anti freeze through it. Then go around to all of the faucets and turn them on until pink comes out. Do this with the outside shower, pressure washer, inside toilet, faucets and shower and low lying drains. Basically anywhere there is water you want the pink AF to go. Bypass your water heater or you will have 6 gallons of AF in there before anything else gets any. Mine usually takes just under 2 gallons to do the whole trailer. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by staarma
Yep, unscrew the supply line to your water pump and attach a hose so it can draw anti freeze through it. Then go around to all of the faucets and turn them on until pink comes out. Do this with the outside shower, pressure washer, inside toilet, faucets and shower and low lying drains. Basically anywhere there is water you want the pink AF to go. Bypass your water heater or you will have 6 gallons of AF in there before anything else gets any. Mine usually takes just under 2 gallons to do the whole trailer. Good luck.
Thats what I do and it works great..
Old 09-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Come on Guy's, what about the battery?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 AM

Oh yes, what about the tires, keep them off the ground, park it on wood or plastic? How about tire pressure for the winter?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by staarma
Yes, I do it about the same way with the winterizing bypass kit that I picked up at Wally World, ($15) takes only 2 gal.

Quick Reply: Winterizing my toyhauler?