Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Who tows a 5th wheel with their short bed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by 89dieselkong
I think I am confused. Are you looking for a trailer that has the turning ability or have you decided on one and are looking for just the measurements? I tow with a Megacab and just bought a Wildwood Heritage Glen series 5th wheel by Forest River. By far the most aggressive rake on their front cap of any 5th wheel that I have ever seen. I have a Reese manual slider that I haven't had to use yet. I can turn more than 90* and don't come close to the cab with it in the "towing" position. My friend also tows with a megacab and he tows a Rockwood ultralight 5th wheel. He tows with a gooseneck adapter and has no issues with cab to front cap clearance. I guess it all depends on the trailer. Even with specific kingpin to cab measurements, I would think that all becomes a moot point since you need to factor in the corners on the front of the trailer more than anything. There are a lot of trailers designed for shortbed trucks nowadays so the best thing is to find the trailers you like that look like they are going to work and adapt your towing to that. Trying to figure in measurements, distances, trailers and all that is gonna melt your brain for sure. Also try RVforum.net and see what those folks say. They have a lot of good advice and can point you in a good direction for trailer info as well.
Yes and yes. I am looking for both but the disadvantage I have is that I'm looking for a used trailer, not a new one. And even though I'm looking for newer trailers (mid 2000 and up), the few toy haulers I've found (that I like) will pose cab to trailer clearance issues. So really all my asking is just to see how other short bad guys deal with this issue and whether or not its a concern, something that can be rectified, or just a gamble. Thanks for your story though since it gives me reason to know that there is trailers out there that will work. Just have to find one.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tow a fifth wheel with a short bed. I have a Pull-rite sliding hitch. My trailer does not have a forward pin. It was very tight on turns so I had a welder extend my pin about five inches. Now it tows and turns without incident.
Good luck-John
Old 11-12-2011, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by spoon40
I tow a fifth wheel with a short bed. I have a Pull-rite sliding hitch. My trailer does not have a forward pin. It was very tight on turns so I had a welder extend my pin about five inches. Now it tows and turns without incident.
Good luck-John
Good to know. Thanks. So your pin sits about 5 inches in front of the trailer or just 5 inches farther forward than it did?
Old 11-12-2011, 01:52 AM

The original pin was almost straight down, with a slight tilt forward. The welder cut and moved the bottom of the pin forward about five inches. The pin box now is about flush with the front of the trailer.
Regards- John
Old 11-12-2011, 07:18 AM

When I bought my fifth wheel I went ahead and got the pull-rite hitch. The only way I could hit the truck with the trailer would be to back up and go past 90 degrees. It's nice to know that no matter where I am, I can just make the turn and not look back.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by spoon40
The original pin was almost straight down, with a slight tilt forward. The welder cut and moved the bottom of the pin forward about five inches. The pin box now is about flush with the front of the trailer.
Regards- John
Thank you for that info.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My combination, except for being a bit heavy for the 3/4, tows just fine. I cannot turn 90 degrees without hitting the cab. Yet for over 15k miles of towing, I have not had a problem. I use my Reese slider if I'm backing into a tight site. Otherwise I run normal just paying attention to the trailer corners when I turn.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 PM

My cyclone has about 7" of clearance at full turn. Given that the hitch moves back 14"...it would be in the cab 7"
Old 11-14-2011, 01:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey Mr. Bill1374. Just OOC what does your 32' fiver weigh to make yo say that it is a tad heavy for your 3/4 ton? Don't mean to hijack your thread Katoom.

Cheers!

Mike
Old 02-05-2012, 04:05 PM

i have had the sidwinder for about a year now. it can be tough to couple to if your not paying attention but it has not really been a issue for me. some claim added stress on the trailer, but its shorter than the factory extended pinbox on mine, and all fifth wheels will drop a trailer if not coupled proper.....never the operators fault. lol. not to mention the sidewinder makes the trailer cut quicker when backing up and follows the truck wheels better in a forward direction like a tag axle trailer does.
great product for me
Old 02-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Not sure about adding stress when it's shorter than tje standard pin or adding to dropped trailers, but the sidewinder design doesn't handle as well. It moves the swing point further rearward towards a bumper hitch, which to some extent defeats the purpose of the 5th wheel.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM

KATOOM- I have a 2011 Dodge SB with the B&W companion and tow a 2011 Heartland Cyclone 3010. Like the other heartland guys have said, it has the 88* front cap on it, and it works great. I have never had a problem turning with it, but I am still very careful while turning.
Attached Thumbnails Who tows a 5th wheel with their short bed?-img_0211.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 02:02 PM

It really depends on the combo. The distance from cab to axle center is shorter on a megacab then a short bed, and add in the a Cyclone is 8.5' vs 8' and theres where problems occur.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got a Reese Slider with my short bed and I use the slider mostly when I need to hook or unhook the truck when its at an angle to the trailer. I don't have a cut-out tailgate and in order to drop it to connect the trailer I need to slide the hitch back so the corner of the tailgate won't hit the trailer. The slider also makes it easier to open the front trailer basement hatch; it hits the truck if the slider's not extended.

I rarely find I need the slider when towing the trailer; its all about connecting and disconnecting it and managing the trailer basement hatch.

I don't know how the guys with the pull-rite sliders hook their trailers up when at a significant angle to the truck.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 PM

Perfectly simple. Pull two pins, remove hitch head, place it in trailer's pin box, back truck under hitch head, drop it back on the hitch, and replace the two pins. You can hook up even at 90 degrees. 8-)

Quick Reply: Who tows a 5th wheel with their short bed?