Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Who tows a 5th wheel with their short bed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:03 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Thanks but no, I wasn't asking if you could back into a 90* position. I was asking if you could drive forward and perform a full left or right steering wheel lock without out the slide and not contact the cab. Yes, that would probably mean a U turn but more what I'm getting at is being able to easily maneuver through a parking lot without needing to push the slider back. I fully understand the need for a slider and that the chances of ever having a trailer that can 90* with a short bed is slim to none but what I'm wanting is to just be able to drive without worrying about trailer to cab contact. Parking.....is a completely different subject. I "know" I wont be able to park without the slider and thats perfectly OK. Thats why I was shocked to read how far your pin is under the trailer. Most short bed friendly trailers are not only scalloped but the pin is 6" or more out in front of the trailer.
I can't see ever having issues maneuvering through a parking lot that I wouldn't already have towing such a large trailer.....especially one as big as those at Wally World.
and you can park without sliding your hitch you just have to be very careful and not put yourself in a bind.
My trailer isn't necessarily a "Short bed Friendly" trailer. That considered if I can maneuver around in semi tight spots without necessarily needing to slide my hitch back you should have an easier time if you did get a short bed friendly trailer.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:22 PM

38 FT driven from coast to coast, no problems in parking lots or camp sites. The bigger problem is in cities, trying to make right hand turns from turning lanes when other cars are in their turn lanes trying to go left. They do kinda Treat you like a big rig and back up for you tho Just get a 5th wheel with an extended pin and you should be ok.
Attached Thumbnails Who tows a 5th wheel with their short bed?-dsc00402.jpg  
Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgetracker
38 FT driven from coast to coast, no problems in parking lots or camp sites. The bigger problem is in cities, trying to make right hand turns from turning lanes when other cars are in their turn lanes trying to go left. They do kinda Treat you like a big rig and back up for you tho Just get a 5th wheel with an extended pin and you should be ok.
Very nice trailer. But I understand that Cyclone has some special turning radius marketing thing for short bed trucks which is better than most other trailers. Looks like yours sits nice too. What do you have for suspension support? And how far is your kingpin from the cab? Thanks for the picture.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the kind words. My suspension is still stock but I will get airbags when I return from Iraq, along with a few other mods. I'm sorry I dont know the distance of the king pin from cab, I've never measured it. Heartland does have the 88 degree turn feature on their trailers tho and I've used every bit of it in certain situations. Anyway, best of luck on your hunt.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgetracker
Thanks for the kind words. My suspension is still stock but I will get airbags when I return from Iraq, along with a few other mods. I'm sorry I dont know the distance of the king pin from cab, I've never measured it. Heartland does have the 88 degree turn feature on their trailers tho and I've used every bit of it in certain situations. Anyway, best of luck on your hunt.
If you're over in Iraq for military then thank you for your service. When you get back to the homeland, if I dont have a trailer by then, maybe you can measure your kingpin to cab for me. Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Another option is the Sidewinder pin box. I started out with a manual slider and it was a pain to use, you always needed it at the wrong time. On flat ground you could plan ahead on your turns but I ran into problems turning into parking lots and gas stations when the entrance was a quick uphill turn, when the nose of the truck goes uphill and the trailer is still on flat ground things get close real quick. I then put a Sidewinder pin box on and it works great, tons of clearance and you can unhook at any angle, I also did not have to change anything on the truck.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 07PatriotBlue
Another option is the Sidewinder pin box. I started out with a manual slider and it was a pain to use, you always needed it at the wrong time. On flat ground you could plan ahead on your turns but I ran into problems turning into parking lots and gas stations when the entrance was a quick uphill turn, when the nose of the truck goes uphill and the trailer is still on flat ground things get close real quick. I then put a Sidewinder pin box on and it works great, tons of clearance and you can unhook at any angle, I also did not have to change anything on the truck.
Thanks 07PatriotBlue. I've actually been informed about the Sidewinder and I've asked about that contraption on other threads. My only concern is I've heard enough negative feedback about the Sidewinder to make me think that it may not be the best option. Really.....I dont know.....and really all this research is becoming more exhausting as I go.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I think I can... I think...

Thanks 07PatriotBlue. I've actually been informed about the Sidewinder and I've asked about that contraption on other threads. My only concern is I've heard enough negative feedback about the Sidewinder to make me think that it may not be the best option. Really.....I dont know.....and really all this research is becoming more exhausting as I go.
I went through the same thing. While I'd loved to have had a superglide I'm happy with my run of the mill Husky Slider.
You're frettin way too much but to your defense I did it too!!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
I went through the same thing. While I'd loved to have had a superglide I'm happy with my run of the mill Husky Slider.
You're frettin way too much but to your defense I did it too!!
Thank you.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM

If you don't mind me asking what negative feedback have you heard? I have been using mine for 3 years with no complaints, so far. As far as the exhaustion from research goes, I understand, I do it to myself also.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 AM

If you don't mind me asking what negative feedback have you heard? I have been using mine for 3 years with no complaints, so far. As far as the exhaustion from research goes, I understand, I do it to myself also.
I've heard that they can be difficult to hook up to the 5th wheel if the truck/trailer isnt setting perfect, they can be loud and annoying with all the clanking and banging from the wedge and geometry, they can set so far back that the trailer could possibly contact the sides of the bed or tailgate during turns, they can place unwarranted stress on the trailer frame and the hitch itself, and lastly (but most important) there was someone who claimed that their Sidewinder had disconnected while driving because of a design flaw which led to tremendous damage to truck and trailer. Haven't heard anymore about the last one but I have to admit that it was enough to scare me.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by FarmerJim
The Pullright Super Glide was the answer for me. It is an automatic slider that moves to the rear up to 14 inches. It is on a cam system and starts to move to the rear at 22 degrees of turn. They are pricy but the peace of mind was well worth it for me.
Exactly! I went with the pullright super glide for my short bed truck and it's been flawless and never a worry. It does all the work for you.

For sale ad removed site violation- Please use the Classifieds to sell your used parts
Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 PM

I've heard that they can be difficult to hook up to the 5th wheel if the truck/trailer isnt setting perfect, they can be loud and annoying with all the clanking and banging from the wedge and geometry, they can set so far back that the trailer could possibly contact the sides of the bed or tailgate during turns, they can place unwarranted stress on the trailer frame and the hitch itself, and lastly (but most important) there was someone who claimed that their Sidewinder had disconnected while driving because of a design flaw which led to tremendous damage to truck and trailer. Haven't heard anymore about the last one but I have to admit that it was enough to scare me.
Thanks for the feedback. After installing and using mine I can see how some people would have these problems. The problems you have heard can be avoided by taking your time and lining everything up correctly during install and also by doing some minor maintenance to make sure everything stays torqued and moving free. Good luck on your decision but you might want to try and check out some of your options in person. Seeing and touching might help you make a good decision.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback. After installing and using mine I can see how some people would have these problems. The problems you have heard can be avoided by taking your time and lining everything up correctly during install and also by doing some minor maintenance to make sure everything stays torqued and moving free. Good luck on your decision but you might want to try and check out some of your options in person. Seeing and touching might help you make a good decision.
Thank you.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Chapter President

I think I am confused. Are you looking for a trailer that has the turning ability or have you decided on one and are looking for just the measurements? I tow with a Megacab and just bought a Wildwood Heritage Glen series 5th wheel by Forest River. By far the most aggressive rake on their front cap of any 5th wheel that I have ever seen. I have a Reese manual slider that I haven't had to use yet. I can turn more than 90* and don't come close to the cab with it in the "towing" position. My friend also tows with a megacab and he tows a Rockwood ultralight 5th wheel. He tows with a gooseneck adapter and has no issues with cab to front cap clearance. I guess it all depends on the trailer. Even with specific kingpin to cab measurements, I would think that all becomes a moot point since you need to factor in the corners on the front of the trailer more than anything. There are a lot of trailers designed for shortbed trucks nowadays so the best thing is to find the trailers you like that look like they are going to work and adapt your towing to that. Trying to figure in measurements, distances, trailers and all that is gonna melt your brain for sure. Also try RVforum.net and see what those folks say. They have a lot of good advice and can point you in a good direction for trailer info as well.

Quick Reply: Who tows a 5th wheel with their short bed?