Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Where do I.............?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 06:25 PM
DMH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where do I.............?

Ok, I have the Firestone Ride-rite air lift system for my truck sitting in the basement, ready to install.

But..... I have some questions.

First of all, do any of you have any ideas as to where to mount the Air Compressor and Air tank. I have done some looking around the vehicle, but evidently not enough yet. I have no idea where to mount either of them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do I have to drill some holes through the firewall to run the air lines? In looking at the system, it looks like I will have to run three lines. One from the tank to the controller and then one each from the controller to each air bag. And where would the the best location to run those through the firewall? I am going to assume that the best would be somewhere in front of the clutch and brake, right?

Any other tips or hints to make the installation go easier would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DMH
Old 06-03-2006, 07:05 PM

Smile

I have the firestone bags, I installed the compresor and guage inside the lower lift up between the front seat, I do not have the air tank (don't need it)
Seems to work great.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:08 PM

missed part of your question, I drilled a hole in the floor to run the air line, it comes out over the Transmission. Tied the electrical to the plug under the set that goes to the power plug in the seat box. Hope this helps, can't help on the air tank.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:20 PM

I just went out to look at mine, which was installed by the dealer when I bought the truck. I have the quad cab, and the compressor is mounted on the body panel next to the frame, about a foot ahead of the body mount bracket below the rear of the door, and right above the emergency brake cable mounting bracket. The tank is mounted on the frame about a foot behind that bracket. The hoses and wiring go thru an existing grommeted hole in the firewall. Control switch panel is mounted below the ashtray, next to the transmission hump. My right toes just barely clear the hoses when driving. I had a problem with the compressor cycling on the pressure switch, and it was a pain when trying to sleep in the camper, so I wired in a heavy duty switch and mounted it in the ashtray, and also re-wired it with #10 wire. Works very well. A little extra the dealer did for me that has been very convenient, was to tee in a tire valve and mount it on the little tab under the rear half door. That, along with a 20 ft coiled hose has been real handy several times. Almost 100,000 miles now, many of them very rough, and all looks tight and solid.

Lar.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
A lot of the junk that gets routed through the firewall can be kept out of the cab by using the area immediately between the driver seat and door.

I have my MICO brake lock, fuel tank selector, fuel return selector, and fuel gauge switch, all located conveniently in this area, with room for more.

It keeps a lot of stuff out of the way.

It may work for your air control equipment.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
A lot of the junk that gets routed through the firewall can be kept out of the cab by using the area immediately between the driver seat and door.

I have my MICO brake lock, fuel tank selector, fuel return selector, and fuel gauge switch, all located conveniently in this area, with room for more.

It keeps a lot of stuff out of the way.

It may work for your air control equipment.
Hey Bearkiller. I like the sound of your set up. I'm really holding back on stuff because I don't want to mount a bunch of switch's on my dash. Any chance of a picture. Thank's.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
DMH

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

However, I still have a question about the mounting of the air compressor. The instructions that came with the compressor specifically state that the air filter for the compressor has to be monted lower than the compressor, in a dry area away from moisture. If I mount the compressor to the body panel under the drivers door, where can I put the air filter so that it doesn't get wet from all the moisture that gets sprayed up when it is raining?

I guess I could build some sort of protection for the filter so it doesn't pick up the moisture from the road.

But again, thanks for the suggestions.

DMH
Old 06-05-2006, 09:51 PM

I have worked around air-compressors all my life; and, I can't see any reason why it would matter that the air filter were above or below the compressor.

If I were worried about road-splash, debris contamination, etc., I would look into mounting the compressor under the cab somewhere, and running a hose to a remote air-inlet-filter, probably under, or behind, a seat inside the cab.

Cab air would be much cleaner and drier.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
Hey Bearkiller. I like the sound of your set up. I'm really holding back on stuff because I don't want to mount a bunch of switch's on my dash. Any chance of a picture. Thank's.

I wish I knew how to do pictures.

Really, it is not that hard to visualize.

I have the mechanisms mounted under the floor-metal, with their handles through drilled holes inside the cab.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:41 PM
DMH

Started working on the install yesterday. Cut a piece of aluminum to mount the compressor on and then will mount that on the frame below the drivers seat. I will probably run the filter into the engine compartment and mount it somewheres on the firewall in the corner for easy maintenance.

Also, I will be making a bit of a splash guard for the compressor out of sheet metal.

I will post some pictures of it as I go and when I am finished.

DMH